Massachusetts EMT Pay Scale

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
Boston EMS does pay basics approx $800/Wk for some reason, but i'm sure you have to be VERY comfortable with everything. Allegedly P's have to start as B's and go through Bostons own Medic school... But for that money I'd do it if i had a Mass license.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
H+H also has a competitive application and hiring process, followed by an intense 3 month academy and multi-step FTO and field supervision process, all before getting "pinned" as a full EMT. You'll notice BEMS BLS staff don't wear the state patch, but a Boston EMT-Basic patch regardless of state certification.
Boingo, can you comment on the internal promotion/education process for medic?

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
All medic promotions are from within, you have to be on the job for at least a year (BLS) prior to taking the promotional exam. The exam is competitive, written, practical and oral boards, top 6-10 get into the internship. Internship consists of a month of clinicals in hospital, then 9 weeks in the field, if all goes well an exit interview follows and then a 6 month probationary period.

You be a Mass medic at time of test, the department has on occasion run its own in-house medic program, the current one is scheduled to finish in another year or so, I have my doubts about the department running another one any time soon. Good luck!