Massachusetts EMT Pay Scale

chrisp368

Forum Probie
I was wondering what are some of the better paying companies in Massachusetts. I'm about to take my written next week.

From what I've heard so far Fallon starts off at $12, EasCare $12.50, Lifeline $13. I don't know if this one is true but I've heard that Trinity starts their EMTs off at $16.75?

Any other companies that people know of and there starting rates or know if these ones that are posted are true? Thanks.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Last I heard Brewster starts no-experience basics at $12.50. Once you start driving it goes up, and if you come from another company with some experience you start higher.

Sent from my out of area communications device.

huey28

Forum Probie
thats a negitive on trinity, when the 211 people that got caught faking there con-ed they were offering current emts and medics working there 1000$ per 24 hour shift just to get it filled, now that all that is sorted out, its around 13.25 starting. average pay is between 12.50 and 13.25 as a basic, and 15.50 to 16.00 as a new medic. good luck bud.

JPINFV

Gadfly
$1000/shift? Holy heck, I wish I spent another year in MA.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Since this is the latest MA thread, Spaulding's hiring one full-time EMT. No word on wages. Oh, and they still use paper.

From what I've heard so far Fallon starts off at $12,

Sounds about right. Last I heard, Fallon had hired enough basics that the "senior" people were complaining about having to fight for overtime, and the new hires were complaining about some weirdness involving the pay scale changing. A lot of complaining going on over there in Quincy, but it sounds like the usual BS.

Yep...I recall hearing $25-$50 an hour for BLS shifts that couldn't be filled.
I'm going to start paying very close attention to my coworkers who are recertifying now.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Since this is the latest MA thread, Spaulding's hiring one full-time EMT. No word on wages. Oh, and they still use paper.

Sent from my out of area communications device.

I don't mind using paper, it always works and it seems like it takes less time.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
I'm starting @ Cape Cod Ambulance @ 11.75 for ambulance drivers. Apparently we are grossly underpaid, but that is the norm for cape cod.

Also, I hear RUN AWAY from Fallon..just fyi

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
pro ems in cambridge starts at 12.50 plus .15 for each year experience.It may be more though as it looks like their website is a bit out of date. I did some ride time there and really enjoyed it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm starting @ Cape Cod Ambulance @ 11.75 for ambulance drivers. Apparently we are grossly underpaid, but that is the norm for cape cod.

Also, I hear RUN AWAY from Fallon..just fyi

I would not call 11.75 grossly underpaid for a no experience basic. Low perhaps, but you're not just going to get a spectacular wage when you have no experience.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
underpaid in ems, no

I would not call 11.75 grossly underpaid for a no experience basic. Low perhaps, but you're not just going to get a spectacular wage when you have no experience.[/QUOTE

well, I said that based off of what other ppl have said, and the fact that EMS, just like social work, is on lower pay scale than other fields, such as diesel mechanic (my fiance). I find it odd that jobs where you drive injured/hurt/dying ppl to & from places are paid less than a person who drives a semi, trash truck, etc.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I believe Cataldo is still the highest among the typical privates. Spaulding and perhaps some of the other hospital-based services down south are probably higher, plus of course Boston EMS. For those with any experience these things might diverge, since each company recognizes time-in differently and there might even be room to negotiate.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
who's hiring!?!

It seems to be pretty tough everywhere. Brewster was hiring recently, I'm not sure if they still are. Rumor is LifeLine is (or at least recently was) hiring MA and NREMT certified EMT-B and P, since they just opened up a couple locations in New Hampshire.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Apply everywhere, make a nuisance of yourself by calling, and physically show up at the HR office if you don't get responses. Ignoring you is the industry standard way of winnowing down the pile.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
Apply everywhere, make a nuisance of yourself by calling, and physically show up at the HR office if you don't get responses. Ignoring you is the industry standard way of winnowing down the pile.

Agreed...unless specifically required, apply in person, and be prepared for an interview on the spot. This won't necessarily happen, but it's good to be prepared for it.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
who's hiring

I've heard AMR and eascare are hiring. Not sure where else near you.

Good luck!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Long story short: most companies are hiring, but they do so in batches, every month or three. You're best to apply broadly, be proactive and follow up actively (bordering on annoyance), and perfect your grovel (jk).