Massachusetts EMT-B Test

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys!

I am NREMT certified however I am going to work in Massachusetts. unfortunately they require you to take their test to get your licence. Does anyone have experience with this test? Is it similar to the NREMT test? Thanks!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
With due respect to present parties, the MA exams are a PITA. The practical is 4 stations
--cardiac arrest (checking and setting up an o2 tank), setup of bvm, BLS arrest algorithm, etc
-- patient assessment (medical and trauma)
--spinal immobilization (ked or lsb)
-- immobilization (1 upper extremity, and a traction)
Try to schedule a review wherever you're taking the practical, and ask them for a copy of the state exam sheets... because they are different from the NR.

Let me know if you have questions

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
Sorry I should have been more specific. I only have to take the written/computer test. I am also a Ohio/Colorado EMT (yah I know a few states).

CFal

Forum Captain
It's easier than the NREMT in my opinion, you sit at a computer and it's all multiple choice. If I remember correctly it doesn't shut off like the NREMT test, you do all the questions.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's easier than the NREMT in my opinion, you sit at a computer and it's all multiple choice. If I remember correctly it doesn't shut off like the NREMT test, you do all the questions.

That is correct.

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering how MA will deal with the fact that I was certified as an EMT-B in NJ before the new national standards took effect.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering how MA will deal with the fact that I was certified as an EMT-B in NJ before the new national standards took effect.

Massachusetts has not formally enacted the new national standards, and will handle it like any other reciprocity... As long as your NJ cert is valid, you may transfer your certification, but please understand you will likely need to retake the practical and/or written exams.