mass medic written exam

jkrewko

Forum Crew Member
hey guys, I'm taking my mass medic written exam on 4/14. im already a nremt-p and a ri paramedic. any info, advice, study guide advice, etc..... would be appreciated. thanks

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
there is a app on the iphone with all the protocols. I`m using that and you can view there protocols on there website. Let me know if you find any more info about it. I need to take as as so as my paper gets pushed through. Who are you trying to apply for?

OP
OP
J

jkrewko

Forum Crew Member
i already work for stat/coastline.

lawndartcatcher

Forum Lieutenant
The Mass written takes material and questions form the National Registry exam, so you're better off reviewing the National Registry stuff then the Massachusetts Protocols. RI has always been big on protocol-based tests (especially for their Cardiacs) but Mass' written exams are closer to the NREMT ones.

That being said, you'll need to know at least some general Mass protocols (no sub-q Epi for anaphylaxis; you can do that in RI but not in Mass. You need to use an Epi pen in Mass).

Also, if you haven't had ALCS within the last year or so I'd definitely recommend reviewing the new ACLS protocols, especially the new tachycardia and bradycardia protocols.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
The Mass written takes material and questions form the National Registry exam, so you're better off reviewing the National Registry stuff then the Massachusetts Protocols. RI has always been big on protocol-based tests (especially for their Cardiacs) but Mass' written exams are closer to the NREMT ones.

That being said, you'll need to know at least some general Mass protocols (no sub-q Epi for anaphylaxis; you can do that in RI but not in Mass. You need to use an Epi pen in Mass).

Also, if you haven't had ALCS within the last year or so I'd definitely recommend reviewing the new ACLS protocols, especially the new tachycardia and bradycardia protocols.

Really? No sub-q epi? I's can do that up her in Vermont.

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
do you guys carry epi pens? Can you request orders? So ur saying if we passed the nremt-p we should be ok?

lawndartcatcher

Forum Lieutenant
The MA protocols were recently changed to remove 1:1000 for epi via sub-q or IM; instead every level (Bls and ALS) now uses the epi pen. This was meant as a single example, not the complete set of protocols.

And, no - if you passed the national exam you won't automatically be "all set"; I'm saying that you should prepare as you prepared for the national written since the test bank is very similar. Before they became a National Registry state RI was very, very big on protocol questions at the ALS level, and some folks who teach and train in RI are still in that mode.

But if you were able to study to pass the national written exam you should be able to study to pass the Massachusetts state exam. Best of luck.

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks...

What I actually met was if we can study for the NREMT-p and pass we should be ok to pass the mass state since there the same type of questions. (there 4 correct answers lol).. i`m wasnt trying to apply because I passed it the mass state test would be a pushover.. I still plan on study there protocols and reviewing all other material.. My state test for fl was written by NREMT-P so the same thing applied.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Really? No sub-q epi? I's can do that up her in Vermont.

It's one way to eliminate errors associated with giving the wrong concentration of epi. It's also an excellent way to make your providers like robots.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's still a med control option.

Doesn't it seem a bit wasteful and/or outdated to have paramedics do that for anaphylaxis? You'd think that treating anaphylaxis quickly and effectively would be a core paramedic skill everywhere without the need to waste everyone's time with calling it in.

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
Doesn't it seem a bit wasteful and/or outdated to have paramedics do that for anaphylaxis? You'd think that treating anaphylaxis quickly and effectively would be a core paramedic skill everywhere without the need to waste everyone's time with calling it in.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't IM or IV Epi more effective in anapylaxis?

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
Mass emt you are right but you dont give epi IV. Atleast in fl you dont. it would be for very very veyr severe cases and you have to call for orders(its part of are tier II) What tigger is talking about is if you have a person that needs the .3mg for eip sq it takes time to call in for orders. Mean while your pt is circling the drain.

SliceOfLife

Forum Crew Member

I would say hitting them with an epi-pen IM is far faster than drawing the same dose of drug for SQ admin. We can do it twice on standing orders and then call MC for any additional, which would be SQ because we only carry 2 adult epi-pens or IV of 1:10,000. Plus if on a PB truck, the basic can do it while the medic drops a line or manages airway or whatever.

I wasn't a medic when it was SOP to do 1:1000 SQ so I can't say which is preferable for a clinician who has done both.