Marijuana Violation For NYS EMT-B

tylr

Forum Ride Along
Before I get started, I'd like to preface by saying I know I'm an idiot, but I was celebrating with a friend after a stressful week and decided to smoke a bowl with her. Needless to say a cop pulled me over outside my campus, smelled the weed and searched me. I gave him the pack I had and he gave me a UPM (Unlawful Possession Of Marijuana) I looked up the details on it and basically since it was such a low amount it isn't considered a felony, just a violation. I'm very embarrased about this and frustrated with myself because I've just gotten certified as a Basic and this could very well ruin my career. I hope not, but the way I view the world it's best to expect the worst and hope for the best. This is the first time I've ever been caught doing something illegal, I was never fingerprinted and I was never put in handcuffs. All the police officer did was give me two tickets, one for having no headlights, the other was a date for my araignment, which is tomorrow. I'm hoping to maybe get an ACOD (Adjournment in Contemplation Of Dismissal) because this is my first offense. If I can it saves my future in college and in the EMS Field, but if I wasn't, and was forced to plead guilty, I'd like to know from any EMT's or Paramedics here if I could still continue on in this field with this on my record.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I was arrested back in the day when weed was still illegal. It was my first offense and I pleaded sufficient facts and no contest, which is not a guilty plea but an acknowledgement that I look guilty as heck and would probly be convicted by any sane jury of my peers. The case was continued without a finding, I kept my nose clean and 12 months later the case was dismissed. Its on my background check but that hasn't prevented me from getting my EMT, getting a job, and getting into PA school. We will see what impact it has on getting a PA license in the coming weeks.

Let this be a lesson to you that 1 silly mistake or bad call can change the trajectory of the rest of your life. I was lucky enough to learn that lesson early and since then I have been in some situations where it would have been very easy to make the same mistake, but I want a long career more than any short lived moment that those bad decisions could provide me.

okiemedic

BLS Healthcare Provider Instructor
I was arrested back in the day when weed was still illegal. It was my first offense and I pleaded sufficient facts and no contest, which is not a guilty plea but an acknowledgement that I look guilty as heck and would probly be convicted by any sane jury of my peers. The case was continued without a finding, I kept my nose clean and 12 months later the case was dismissed. Its on my background check but that hasn't prevented me from getting my EMT, getting a job, and getting into PA school. We will see what impact it has on getting a PA license in the coming weeks.

Let this be a lesson to you that 1 silly mistake or bad call can change the trajectory of the rest of your life. I was lucky enough to learn that lesson early and since then I have been in some situations where it would have been very easy to make the same mistake, but I want a long career more than any short lived moment that those bad decisions could provide me.

I know a pa that smoked weed. I'm sure she still does. She works med surg though..... most nurses and staff on med surg floors are known for being loopy though. They have to be. Most of their patients are crazy lol..

Op: simple answer is don't smoke weed...I can't judge though. I didn't start drinking until I started working EMS. I also contribute EMS to picking up vaping. lol

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
I would consult an attorney who specializes in this type of law. We all do dumb things when we are young, and I do know EMS professionals who had been cited for weed in the past or even had a DUI. The key is to learn from your mistakes. I do not want to sound preachy, but you said you were smoking in response to a stressful week. EMS is a very stressful career, and it is important to have outlets for stress other than illicit substances. Any substance issues one may have before EMS, usually get magnified after you start your career. Whatever the outcome, I wish you the best for your future.