Management of a potentially aggressive patient on PCP.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey All, somewhat new here thought id start my first thread.

I'm a new medic in NY, and had a question regarding a call that occurred at my volunteer department. I was not at the call, but a brief story was told to me from a few people.

Basically, it came in as a seizure at a local restaurant. When the crew got there, they had an agitated patient who was supposedly trying to smash the urinals in the bathroom off the walls with his bare hands. (and succeeding)

Now, in my volunteer area, the police department paid ambulance usually handle any EDP/Drunk/Drug calls unless a direct call to the fire department is made. In my paid area in the city, I am far more likely to run into this again. The only reason it occurred on a volunteer level here, is because it was reported as a seizure.

So, someone I guess at some point came to the conclusion that this man is either an EDP, or on some form of drug such as PCP.

I have no idea as to how cooperative the patient was, but apparently the paramedic on scene was able to successfully administer IN Narcan.

This is where my question arises. For a patient who is extremely agitated, no respiratory depression, and is a potential danger to himself and others, was narcan really the right move? I asked the medic who did it, (who is by no means experienced) and he figured it won't hurt him, so why not try it.

From what I know, PCP causes the psychosis at lower doses, and at high enough doses can cause sedation/analgesia and ultimately seizure activity.

That being said, my argument was that the medic should have gotten on the phone with the medical director, given a convincing story and attempted to get approval for a discretionary of 10mg of versed IM or IN. (I do not know if IM would have been safe)

I figured that whether the patient be an EDP or on psychosis inducing drugs, midazolam would not only sedate the patient, making further assessment and transport easier but also ultimately preventing any further harm to the patient or providers.

Could anyone explain what the right move is?

Little side note, in my volunteer region, Controlled Substances are very rare. We are one of maybe 5 departments out of 72 that carry them. We carry Valium, Versed and Morphine. There are absolutely no standing orders in the region for the use of them, and the likelyhood of the medical director approving such a rare occurrence without a dynamite presentation is very minimal. In the city where I work, use of controlled substances is pretty routine and more leniency is given to the providers.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
If the narcan helped it probably wasn't pcp.

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Not saying its right or wrong, but in my system he probably would have gotten Ativan IM. It's not really supposed to be used for violent patients but since the call came out as a seizure it could be justified.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Narcan was absolutely pointless, and did have the potential to harm the patient to boot.

See all the benzodiazepines in your narc box? Get ready, because your about to use them...

Failure to properly sedate this guy is how these presentations end up dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not saying its right or wrong, but in my system he probably would have gotten Ativan IM. It's not really supposed to be used for violent patients but since the call came out as a seizure it could be justified.

Why would you have to justify it?

He's extremely agitated and a danger to himself and the crew. We'd get reviewed for not chemically restraining this guy.

OP - There are 0 indications for narcan in this situation. We can't just run around trialing drugs on patients because "it can't hurt"

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Contacting PD and applying the liberal use of the benzodiazepines you carry. Here we would stage for PD and then chemically sedate with IN or IM Versed.

Edit - I would say that Narcan was borderline negligent. What was he hoping to accomplish? Say he had been using opiates with his PCP/Coke/meth. You take out the sedating effects of the opiates and your overdose is made worse. More combative and higher sympathetic stimulation.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

He's extremely agitated and a danger to himself and the crew. We'd get reviewed for not chemically restraining this guy.

OP - There are 0 indications for narcan in this situation. We can't just run around trialing drugs on patients because "it can't hurt"

There are systems out there that are EXTREMELY scared of narcotics and benzodiazepines as a culture, despite the fact they're some of the safer drugs we carry.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There are systems out there that are EXTREMELY scared of narcotics and benzodiazepines as a culture, despite the fact they're some of the safer drugs we carry.

Geeze...That's not fair to the crew or the patients. Scary to hear that.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief

We are steered far away from chemical sedation........yet we are free to pretty much tube anyone we want :confused:

Although we can call and get orders for pretty much anything. Docs here don't question much.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
We are steered far away from chemical sedation........yet we are free to pretty much tube anyone we want :confused:

Because the Versed demon will come take your airway away!!!
/sarcasm

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Although we can call and get orders for pretty much anything. Docs here don't question much.

I feel like you could call OLMD and hold the phone up so they could hear and you'd get orders in this situation :rofl:

Also, Cawolf brings up a very good point about the possibility of polypharm and what problems you could cause by reversing any opiates that may be onboard along with the stimulants.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
/sarcasm

This does make me realize something I never thought of, our protocols are so liberal with Intubation, yet chemical sedation is a no no. So we can give versed to tube them when a BVM is probably sufficient enough, but we can't knock them down for being a jerk :thumbdown:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
/sarcasm

You and I exchanged some pms about versed because I was afraid of the very same thing.

Then I watched my partner give a guy 10 mgs and the hospital give 5 mgs of Ativan and 10 mgs of valium to the same pt and he was still kicking *** and taking names.

It's not so intimidating anymore. Although he did have some sort of drugs on board.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I gave an 8 year old close to 20mgs of it one day (granted he was intubated). His seizure never broke for more than 5 minutes.

I fear hypotension way more than airway loss.

Remember, in the absence of other compounds that activate GABA receptors the effects of benzos are self-limiting by your endogenous GABA.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I've had one patient high on PCP. It took 11 of us 15 minutes to finally gain control. That's 11 fully grown adults. TASERs, pepper spray, and other options at PD disposal will not work. It will be a hard fight. You WILL have to go hands on. You will probably get hurt in some fashion, be it scratches, bruises, etc.

They don't exaggerate when they say they have super human strength. Add on top of that they are hallucinating and potentially think you're trying to kill them. They'll probably be naked or close to it, covered in body fluids and potentially blood.

What do you do? Prepare for the fight of your life, overwhelm them with a crap load of people, give Benzos (going to take most, if not all, that you have if they even have any effect), control each appendage with ATLEAST 2 people, fight fight fight till you get all limbs restrained, and prepare for sudden cardiac arrest.

Oh, and enjoy moving them from the cot to the hospital bed... and if a nurse goes to remove the restraints, give one warning to try to stop them, then back out of the room quickly, unless you're looking forward to round 2.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've had one patient high on PCP. It took 11 of us 15 minutes to finally gain control. That's 11 fully grown adults. TASERs, pepper spray, and other options at PD disposal will not work. It will be a hard fight. You WILL have to go hands on. You will probably get hurt in some fashion, be it scratches, bruises, etc.

They don't exaggerate when they say they have super human strength. Add on top of that they are hallucinating and potentially think you're trying to kill them. They'll probably be naked or close to it, covered in body fluids and potentially blood.

What do you do? Prepare for the fight of your life, overwhelm them with a crap load of people, give Benzos (going to take most, if not all, that you have if they even have any effect), control each appendage with ATLEAST 2 people, fight fight fight till you get all limbs restrained, and prepare for sudden cardiac arrest.

icon_mother_of_god.jpg

MedicPatriot

Forum Crew Member
I have had plenty of emotionally ill angry people, but have yet to experience anyone on PCP or similar drugs being combative.

Our protocols for chemical restraint are 5mg Versed & 5mg Haldol combo, both of which you must consult for if used as chemical restraint (hopefully will change). Now the funny part is that in my county only the supervisor ALS chase cars carry Haldol. Whatever the reason is, which just may be to save money for all I know, we would have to call for one and wait 7-10 minutes to get it. Now our protocols do allow for you to "do what ya gotta do" if youfind it extremely necessary to save life, so I COULD get away without medical consult but then you have to fill out a bunch of "WHY" forms.

Now on to my real question. Is 5mg IM versed typically enough for a grown man that is combative? I'm thinking maybe...but for a combative person on PCP or other drugs I have a feeling the answer is heck no. Therefore, my question is should I just consult right for the 10mg IM? I also would be asking for 50mg Benadryl as well.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Consult for "as much as it takes". 10mgs may not touch this guy, I've heard of 30 and up being used.