Ma emt-b

hunter0215

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,

This question is more for people living in MA but I am looking to get my EMT-B certification and have found a couple of places where classes are offered. However I am only 17 and wondering if its a good or bad idea to be taking classes so young and I understand I can't take the MA State exam until I am 18. I want to start it now before I get busy with college next school year. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I took my EMT my freshman year of college and it was one of the better decisions I've made so far (I'm a junior now). If you're going to a four year school, you might find that college is really not that different from high school; lot's of time in the classroom and plenty of homework that you really have no interest in doing. That's how it was for me at least.

EMT class was great because it was so different from other classes, I actually looked forward to going to the class and sometimes doing the reading. I don't think I would take it first semester freshman year, but by the time second semester roles around you should have gotten the hang of how school works.

Also, if your school has some sort of campus EMS group, you might be able to take a free or heavily subsidized course. My school does not have such a group, but we do have a class sponsored by the Sport Science department and Sports Medicine office. I got a job with the Sports Medicine program because of doing well in my class, if I had taken the class before I came to school I never would have had that opportunity.

Plus if you take the class now and have to wait till you turn 18 to take the test, you'll have to study some stuff over again (or I would in any case)...may as well just study during the class and then take the test right after. EMS will still be here a year from now, worry not.

nemedic

Forum Captain
As was noted previously, many community colleges will have programs. I can't speak to the quality of any in the area. I can recommend one or two if you don't mind a commute to the North Shore.