Lynch and paramedics

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
I hear Lynch is carrying paramedics now (first company in OC to do so), anybody got any info on this?

JPINFV

Gadfly
OC has thrown around for a couple of years the idea of IFT medics. Also Lynch could be preparing to expand into LA. However anything I have is simple conjecture.

MunchkinMedic

Forum Crew Member
I spoke to the gentleman running the program (Patrick Powers from OC ems) and apparently it's just a trial program to see the feasability of just using paramedics on IFT's instead of wasting their resources and using an RN when all the patient requires is a monitor. This program may not work out though because OCFA & other organizations are staunchly against it, feeling like they may eventually be chased out of the system.

I think it's a nice idea & it's great that they are trying something new. When I looked into it though, the risk just wasnt worth it to me (for me to give up my full time job for something that may not even be there later on)

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think it's a nice idea & it's great that they are trying something new. When I looked into it though, the risk just wasnt worth it to me (for me to give up my full time job for something that may not even be there later on)

It also all depends on how OCEMS decides to set it up. The initial version (2009 if I recall correctly) was going to be set up where if the patient was any bit unstable the IFT medic was to pull over and call 911. That sort of non-sense is going to become a self fulfilling prophecy where the only paramedics willing to work in a system like that are the ones you don't want working in any system. The most recent OCEMS proposal wasn't nearly as harsh, but it still was an extremely small scope of practice.

While I'm all for private paramedics, as mentioned, this is OC we're talking about. I imagine that OCFA just about had a conniption a couple of years ago when Costa Mesa was seriously toying with the idea of hiring "civilian" paramedics to balance their budget.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
The initial version (2009 if I recall correctly) was going to be set up where if the patient was any bit unstable the IFT medic was to pull over and call 911.

If the system is made to be anywhere near that ridiculous...then why have IFT medics? Seems like a wheel chair van would be more cost effective since both a medic and a wheel chair driver would pull over and call 911. In that case might as well send them BLS. At least a BLS crew can kick on the lights and divert.

Honestly, I'm starting to think that there just might be a worse place than Los Angeles.

MunchkinMedic

Forum Crew Member
It also all depends on how OCEMS decides to set it up. The initial version (2009 if I recall correctly) was going to be set up where if the patient was any bit unstable the IFT medic was to pull over and call 911. That sort of non-sense is going to become a self fulfilling prophecy where the only paramedics willing to work in a system like that are the ones you don't want working in any system. The most recent OCEMS proposal wasn't nearly as harsh, but it still was an extremely small scope of practice.

While I'm all for private paramedics, as mentioned, this is OC we're talking about. I imagine that OCFA just about had a conniption a couple of years ago when Costa Mesa was seriously toying with the idea of hiring "civilian" paramedics to balance their budget.

From what I was told, that was still going to be the plan of action if something went wrong! Yet another reason why I didn't want to do it.

BEN52

Forum Crew Member
This is exactly why California is so broke. A nurse for a simple IFT? 2 paramedics required to respond to every 911 call? What a joke...

MunchkinMedic

Forum Crew Member
And Chris07, it is the only place where it's worse than LA. At least we have an ok "treatment prior to base" unlike in OC, where you have to get on the phone right away and can not do or give anything really besides just an iv

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
Why would a medic ever call 911? Wouldn't a helicoptor or divert tot he closest facility be a better plan? Waiting for another paramedic seems like a waste of time in a critical situation.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
And Chris07, it is the only place where it's worse than LA. At least we have an ok "treatment prior to base" unlike in OC, where you have to get on the phone right away and can not do or give anything really besides just an iv

Disclaimer, OC and LA are both terrible ems systems. Having said that, your knowledge is incorrect. Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not though.

Having worked both la and OC ems, protocols are fairly similar for both bls and Als levels. Ms, ntg, zofran, adenosine, etc can all be given prior to base. I did my internship with LA, and still work as an EMT in OC.
Trust me they both suck, your info was just a bit off. I currently also work as a medic in Tulare County, where protocols are much better, as far as Cali goes.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why would a medic ever call 911? Wouldn't a helicoptor or divert tot he closest facility be a better plan? Waiting for another paramedic seems like a waste of time in a critical situation.

Welcome to Southern California. Given the plan, the only reason why the IFT paramedics would be able to transport would be if ETA to the closest ED is less than firemedic ETA. Also the scope of practice for the IFT medics was supposed to be less than the fire medics.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Disclaimer, OC and LA are both terrible ems systems. Having said that, your knowledge is incorrect. Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not though.

Having worked both la and OC ems, protocols are fairly similar for both bls and Als levels. Ms, ntg, zofran, adenosine, etc can all be given prior to base. I did my internship with LA, and still work as an EMT in OC.
Trust me they both suck, your info was just a bit off. I currently also work as a medic in Tulare County, where protocols are much better, as far as Cali goes.

The problem is that OC used to be the type of place where anything worse than a hangnail required a mandatory base hospital contact. They gutted the protocols further a couple of years ago in order to go to the "comprehensive standing orders" program.

Southern California EMS... the reason I'm not a paramedic.

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
OCEMS ALS IFT Pilot

The facts: OCEMS Pilot study of 100 ALS IFT contacts to prove safety and feasability featuring Two Medics; I-40A1 and I-40A2 treatments; no dispatch for patients requiring base contact (I-40); no base contact; NO intersection with 911 EMS system: 30 minute response requirement; full drug and equipment inventory

Last edited by a moderator:

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Riverside/Redlands has 24s? I'm putting in for a transfer to Ventura as a medic strictly because they have 24s

Ps sorry for hijacking.