LVAD's

Epi-do

I see dead people
Thanks for all of the info, Rid and vent! It just amazes me at all the new technology that keeps coming out and the things that modern medicine is capable of doing.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I think this rates as one of the most interesting discussions we have had. Thanks to ventmedic and rid/ryder for all the expert input. I know I learned a good deal. I still do not understand the difference in the need for a IABP over a LVAD. Why would one be used over another?

The link I posted earlier on circulatory assist devices describes both.

The IABP is meant for short term to get a failing heart through something acute to buy time for healing, drug therapy, cath lab or surgery to be the definitive treatment. The patient may only be on the IABP for 1 to 7 days usually. Many times they may come out of the cath lab or OR on one and will be weaned off as the patient stabilized. Something definitive was done to alleviate the acute failure.

VADs are last resorts. The heart has failed and there may be little chance for the heart to recover or be functional again.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
LVAD is portable as well as both have the same intent but NOT act the same. LVAD uses the vertex theory of pushing or propelling blood through the body either by jet or spinning device.

IABP is a sheath tube with a balloon that is inflated on the wave form of the R-T period during systole. It is (usually) inserted in the femoral artery and placed into the lower descending aorta, where the inflation occurs synchronized with the ECG. When inflation occurs it actually increases the blood pressure by somewhat "shunting" or preventing the blood going to the distal perimeters. (Of course this description is watered down and from the top of the head) ...

R/r 911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Thanks for all of the info, Rid and vent! It just amazes me at all the new technology that keeps coming out and the things that modern medicine is capable of doing.

Now, you can see where Vent and myself chuckle at those that describe or hint that one "can learn it all" mentality. Both of us have over 65+ years experience and have to continuously read, study and work in clinical settings to maintain, be proficient and keep on top.

Something I stress to all my students (no matter what level). If you decide to become an EMT or any member of the health care team, then you realize that for the remaining of your career, you will be required to read, study and keep abreast of things. If you don't; you will be dangerous to your career, your patient and to your profession.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Words to learn and live by........ Well said

[

Something I stress to all my students (no matter what level). If you decide to become an EMT or any member of the health care team, then you realize that for the remaining of your career, you will be required to read, study and keep abreast of things. If you don't; you will be dangerous to your career, your patient and to your profession.

R/r 911[/QUOTE]

This is something that is worth saying, to keep striving to learn, is one of the greatest gifts to patient care and to be part of a team.......-_-

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Airwaygoddess has some reading to do!

Hmmmm...... this is going to be a triple Venti latte type of a reading night! ^_^:)^_^

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Clarification: That is 65+ total for our years of experience added together and not EACH.

Dang .. the old age is creeping in. ...LOL Sorry, Vent did not attempt to make us any older than we are already!.....

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Here's an interesting update on a VAD. The cost for research, developing, insertion and maintaining patients with these devices requires big investments with risks for the investors.

Heart device pumping new life in patients, firm's bottomline
http://www.insidebayarea.com/business/ci_10256926

The cost to the hospital and staff to train, educate and maintain competency with new technology as well as all the regular required education, updates and skill proficiencies is expensive. The employees may also absorb some of this cost for their regular education. To stay current the average RN and RRT working in Critical Care may easily spend over $1500 a year out of their pocket in addition to what the hospital provides.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The employees may also absorb some of this cost for their regular education. To stay current the average RN and RRT working in Critical Care may easily spend over $1500 a year out of their pocket in addition to what the hospital provides.

Figure that + per speciality. (i.e. critical care, EMS, ED, Flight) I know I personally spent almost an 1/4 of my income either on courses or re-certification/professional fees. Enough to assist in my tax deduction. Unfortunate many hospitals and definitely EMS do not pay for all the required education to be the top of your field.

I figure that this is just part of the sacrifice of being a professional and doing my job well.

R/r 911