lowest blood sugar reading?

8jimi8

CFRN
Why do i feel that there may be some legal complications for doing that on an unconscious pt.

Because you are employing an immature thought process.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
There are areas that it is in the protocols for EmT-B's to give a small amount of oral glucose to unresponsive patients, between cheek and gums. with or without blood glucose checks. it will absorb into the mucose membranes, and slowly bring glucose levels up. Also, will keep the glucose from getting lower and possibly killing the patient

emt_irl

Forum Captain
There are areas that it is in the protocols for EmT-B's to give a small amount of oral glucose to unresponsive patients, between cheek and gums. with or without blood glucose checks. it will absorb into the mucose membranes, and slowly bring glucose levels up. Also, will keep the glucose from getting lower and possibly killing the patient

buccal administration for unresponsive patients is contra indicated though as it may cause airway compromise. well it is over here anyways

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
less complication and absorbs quickly.

No it does not in most people.

Why do i feel that there may be some legal complications for doing that on an unconscious pt

Immaturity (as mentioned before). God bless implied consent.

is standard protocol for Maryland EMT-Bs. The administration method is the between-cheek-and-gum method.

Ah...so yet another way Maryland lags behind the rest of the country. So do you do this before or after you call for MSP Aviation Division? [/sarcasm] LOL :rolleyes:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
it will absorb into the mucose membranes, and slowly bring glucose levels up

Do you have any evidence to back up that claim?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Immaturity (as mentioned before). God bless implied consent.

If it wasn't for implied consent, I'd have no love life. (Sorry couldn't resist)

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah...so yet another way Maryland lags behind the rest of the country. So do you do this before or after you call for MSP Aviation Division? [/sarcasm] LOL :rolleyes:

Whatever. :rolleyes::rolleyes: