Love the job, hate the salary...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Also, EMT pay is probably going to suck regardless of where you go. You have to move up beyond that level for any of the options you see here. There may be very few exceptions to that.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Where did you work in the Northwest? I am currently in Eugene Oregon
Metro/MERC in the city of Portland doing event stand by, and also for a short time with Metro West Ambulance in Washington county

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
EMT-B's start at $32K plus locality pay (+ 14.16-55%) depending what part of the country you are in; more if you go overseas.

Here it is that PLUS 25% on base pay due to the 48 hour shifts. But we are not hiring any more basics

check www.usajobs.gov

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I wouldnt mind trying to get on as a medic with the government. I might have to look at that

Hal9000

Forum Captain
I left EMS and became an air traffic controller. The paycheck just wasn't good enough in EMS. I chose ATC because I wanted to do something that's high-pressure, and in that regard, at least, it blows anything in EMS out of the water. There is some inner pride, too, from doing a job that some just can't.

Unfortunately I work in a tower, but I prefer TRACON. Something about moving airplanes and chucking strips in a busy TRACON environment reminds me of knocking out calls left and right in a busy EMS system.

Pay is unfathomably better than EMS. Schedule often gets tiring, tho.