Looking to upgrade our squad's dress uniforms.

Tanker299

Forum Probie
I have been asked to come up with ideas to upgrade our squad's dress uniform which simply consists of a white shirt (Ebelco, Paragon Plus) and 5.11 black EMS pants.

The term used to describe our female contingent while wearing this uniform is "dorky". The male side of our squad looks like just stepped out of Gunsmoke.

While some EMT's in the paid services around these parts leverage a similar uniform while on duty, we only use it for events such as fairs, parades, etc. Our duty uniform is more on the functional side and everyone is ok with it.

I have seen other departments in the US and in Europe, both paid and volunteer, that have both dress and duty uniforms that are quite good looking yet professional.

I'm looking for any suggestions you may have. White on black is preferred but other combinations are acceptable (no pink, red, purple or green please ;) )

Thanks!

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I've always been a fan of pullovers, zip ups, and your standard white EMS shirts..

Examples:

Standard White Duty Shirt:

SH746_330_3.jpg

Alternatives:

JA853_330_1.jpg

Add your state's patch to the right arm along with your service's patch.

Add an American flag to the left (Im assuming you are from US)

Have name and title embroidered on one side of the chest, the service name and star of life on the other.

I am fortunate enough to work for a system that has the most awesome uniforms and choices ever when we do ground transport, only requiring that the uniform be black and patches be arranged in a specific manner. Air transport requires our jumpsuit and helmet, so it doesnt really matter there.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Not to be sarcastic - but 5.11 EMS pants are pretty freaking functional.

My volunteer service wears white button down uniform shirts. Certification patch on 1 sleeve, service patch on other side. We also have polo shirts and Elbeco makes a polo shirt / uniform shirt crossover that's really popular. We have to pay for all but the standard button down. Pants are navy blue, providers discretion.

Guess what. We look pretty uniform. Wintertime gets a little funky. Jobshirts, jackets, etc.

If 5.11 pants aren't functional - what are you wearing? T-shirts and ripped blue jeans?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Not to be sarcastic - but 5.11 EMS pants are pretty freaking functional.

My volunteer service wears white button down uniform shirts. Certification patch on 1 sleeve, service patch on other side. We also have polo shirts and Elbeco makes a polo shirt / uniform shirt crossover that's really popular. We have to pay for all but the standard button down.

Guess what. We look pretty uniform. Wintertime gets a little funky. Jobshirts, jackets, etc.

Does your service allow you to wear pullovers on shift? I absolutely love pullovers on winter days.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Does your service allow you to wear pullovers on shift? I absolutely love pullovers on winter days.

Yup. Jobshirts are most common, but some have sweatshirts w/ our logo, and a few of us will wear a uniform sweater occasionally.

OP
OP
Tanker299

Tanker299

Forum Probie
Rob, thanks. Do you happen to know what make/model that shirt is?
As for the black zip up, I recognize that Under Armour, I have that but not as a uniform piece.
We do have sweatshirts with the squad's logo and our unit number in the back, hoods and the like. Our jackets are fully ANSI compliant and quite comfortable and smart looking.
It's just our dress wear that is still back in 1950.

Jon, yes, the 5.11 pants are quite nice if you are a guy of average build. Women though, they have been asking for a change for quite a while. Problem is the waist on those pants ends where the chest begins, and before you make a snarky remark as to our members physical build ;) we have a couple that are in the model category so it's not that.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Jon, yes, the 5.11 pants are quite nice if you are a guy of average build. Women though, they have been asking for a change for quite a while. Problem is the waist on those pants ends where the chest begins, and before you make a snarky remark as to our members physical build ;) we have a couple that are in the model category so it's not that.

That's why 5.11 makes a women's version of their EMS pants.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Rob, thanks. Do you happen to know what make/model that shirt is?
As for the black zip up, I recognize that Under Armour, I have that but not as a uniform piece.
We do have sweatshirts with the squad's logo and our unit number in the back, hoods and the like. Our jackets are fully ANSI compliant and quite comfortable and smart looking.
It's just our dress wear that is still back in 1950.

How long have they been doing EMS?

I learned early that you just. don't. buy. women's pants. Only grandmas wear their pants like those are cut. Measure your waist and hips, purchase men's pants that fit in the hips, and have the waist altered to fit (if necessary).

All the model types I've ever known in EMS (hubby's long-time partner was an Amazon), looked great in non-female cut pants.

OP
OP
Tanker299

Tanker299

Forum Probie
OP
OP
Tanker299

Tanker299

Forum Probie
How long have they been doing EMS?

I learned early that you just. don't. buy. women's pants. Only grandmas wear their pants like those are cut. Measure your waist and hips, purchase men's pants that fit in the hips, and have the waist altered to fit (if necessary).

All the model types I've ever known in EMS (hubby's long-time partner was an Amazon), looked great in non-female cut pants.

This is good to know. Very good in fact. I'll select a test member and try this out.
As for how long they've been doing this, let's just say for a while.
:)

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I've seen some women with the obviously women's cut EMS pants. They look awful...so I agree with abckidsmoms assessment.

Soco_and_Lime

Forum Probie
I always advise against white shirts. They look great for a while, but they show every bit of dirt, grime, blood, etc.

You can use bleach to keep them sparkling white, but that usually fades the patches terribly. Plus all undershirts, and especially underwear for women, show through.

They may look most professional, but they're a practical nightmare.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My service lets individuals pick what pants they want to wear as long as they are black or navy. Shirts are a black 'button up' shirt that has a zipper in place of the majority of the buttons. I'd rather wear these than a white shirt any day. Had to wear one in Denver and ABQ and hated it. I never wanna wear a white shirt for field work again

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
My service lets individuals pick what pants they want to wear as long as they are black or navy. Shirts are a black 'button up' shirt that has a zipper in place of the majority of the buttons. I'd rather wear these than a white shirt any day. Had to wear one in Denver and ABQ and hated it. I never wanna wear a white shirt for field work again

I'm thankful that the only button up shirts I've had to wear in the field were gray.

I have a white dress shirt for my current agency, but I've only ever worn it once.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm thankful that the only button up shirts I've had to wear in the field were gray.

I have a white dress shirt for my current agency, but I've only ever worn it once.

One service I was with had the white button ups, but they weren't button up. They had the buttons, but below that on the inside was a zipper for quick access. I am with you guys on the white shirts over time. I felt the same way about white scrubs during nursing school clinicals.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
One service I was with had the white button ups, but they weren't button up. They had the buttons, but below that on the inside was a zipper for quick access. I am with you guys on the white shirts over time. I felt the same way about white scrubs during nursing school clinicals.

Oh, nasty! You just brought a giant flashback for me!

White pants, white skirts, white everything! My pants got more and more see-through, my shirts just got dingy.

Now my nursing school wears navy pants, teal polos and short white lab coats.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, nasty! You just brought a giant flashback for me!

White pants, white skirts, white everything! My pants got more and more see-through, my shirts just got dingy.

Now my nursing school wears navy pants, teal polos and short white lab coats.

I am thankful that my nurse practitioner program is with a hospital whose colors are black and gold, so our scrubs are black, with white lab coats with VPNPP patch on the arm. It's a lot easier to take a soiled lab coat off than to change from a white scrub top.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Elbeco's Woman's EMS pants are "supposed" to fit a little differently, from what I've been told.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I too do not like the white shirts, they are dismal when it comes to dirt and stains. I like a nice Navy blue uniform. Beside white shirts looks to much like a milkman.

2milkman.jpg

:p

OP
OP
Tanker299

Tanker299

Forum Probie
Thanks for all the comments thus far, much appreciated.
So, to reiterate, we got the duty gear covered. What we are looking to do is upgrade our dress uniform. The gear we wear when we are trying to impress our township folk, and maybe impress them enough to join us for some BLS goodness.
Our uniforms now are have quite the opposite effect I'm afraid :unsure:

As per the above comments, we have a very good suggestion for pants, we are still looking to upgrade the shirt. My original post had what we are using now.
We are not limited to white on black, as long as it is a smart looking uniform set and instills professionalism.