Looking to "move" on

nightmoves123

Forum Crew Member
Umm... What? What part of Texas are you from?...

What part of my post is confusing? I live in Dallas- Denton county, Collin county and lived in a few others..just looks up the laws regarding alcohol if something seems amiss.

Same for abortion rights for women- all of the planned parenthood places pretty much shut down...In any case it is interesting seeing how Texans view Californians and vice versa- when both places have their quirks.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I wouldn't live in Texas to save my life. (Spent a fair amount of time there, just don't like it. I'm a born & raised midwesterner though, I like seasons. Snow. Etc.)

If you want a 911 job that's not fire based come to Indy. IEMS works in the city, 3rd service (not fire-based), low cost of living.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I figured it was somewhere up north (since you mentioned tornados).

Aside from not being able to buy alcohol before noon on Sunday, I don't know what all these crazy alcohol laws are you speak of. I'm not an alcoholic or heavy drinker (light to moderate), but I've never been una le to drink when and where I want to.

We still have planned parenthood and abortion clinics down here.

We have a large LGBT population down here. And while I'm not gay, I have many friends that are. I'm sure they get random *******s on occasion, but they have no problem being open about being gay.

And I must have some aura about me that lets people know not to ask me about church, but the only person who has ever asked me about what church I go to or if I would join them is my wife when we were dating (which she no longer goes either).

W get maybe one hail storm a year. This year was uncharacteristicly bad (still just one). Usually it's nothing to write home about though.

Honestly, it just sounds like you're angry or bitter for some reason. And I'm not even a die-hard Texan. I've been trying to convince my wife to move somewhere with mountains for years. Texas certainly has its faults, but you seem to be trying really hard to find them and make them out to be worse than they are. Have a beer, bud- it's not Sunday morning ;)

Summit

Critical Crazy
We have plenty of nature. Just expect to sweat while experiencing it to its fullest.

Even in Novemeber.

Heat is just one of the reason that Texans vacation to CO, NM, WY and UT to play, camp, hunt, ski, etc. Texas has relatively small amounts of public land for recreation.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Texas has relatively small amounts of public land for recreation.
This is one of my biggest gripes. I didn't realize public land was a thing until after I met my wife (who's from CO). I still get giddy when we go back and I can basically just pick a mountain to run up.

nightmoves123

Forum Crew Member
Honestly, it just sounds like you're angry or bitter for some reason. And I'm not even a die-hard Texan. I've been trying to convince my wife to move somewhere with mountains for years. Texas certainly has its faults, but you seem to be trying really hard to find them and make them out to be worse than they are. Have a beer, bud- it's not Sunday morning ;)

I am not trying really hard to make Texans out to be bad or exaggerate- -I was responding to a post (which I know was meant as a joke)- regarding attitudes matching those of Texas and Texans.

My points were fact-based on law here and personal experiences.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I had literally none of those experiences in Oklahoma, much less Texas. Even my current suburb is very diverse and accepting. Texas is great for EMS.

Summit

Critical Crazy
The experience nightmoves123 described are more likely to happen in TX than most other places. Some places are worse and not all TX is like that.

nightmoves123

Forum Crew Member
If I didnt like it here I wouldn't live here, but at the same time not going to pretend it is perfect lol...

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The experience nightmoves123 described are more likely to happen in TX than most other places. Some places are worse and not all TX is like that.

You know nothing of which you speak.

Summit

Critical Crazy
You know nothing of which you speak.
Oh? Which point do you disagree with?
That Texas is one of the more conservative states?
That not all areas in Texas are like nightmoves123 describes?
That there are states worse than Texas?

nightmoves123

Forum Crew Member
Oh? Which point do you disagree with?
That Texas is one of the more conservative states?
That not all areas in Texas are like nightmoves123 describes?
That there are states worse than Texas?

I think he was probably joking Summit. Texas is a great area for EMS and quality economical living in general, especially when compared with California. But as with moving to any new location there are cultural considerations to adjust to. I like red meat and guns for example, but I do not see the use in wearing a Stetson while driving and women chewing tobcaco....eurggggghhh lol....

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Heat is just one of the reason that Texans vacation to CO, NM, WY and UT to play, camp, hunt, ski, etc. Texas has relatively small amounts of public land for recreation.

This is one of my biggest gripes. I didn't realize public land was a thing until after I met my wife (who's from CO). I still get giddy when we go back and I can basically just pick a mountain to run up.
We have a fair amount of public land acreage wise (more than the size of some eastern states), the problem is percentage wise it's tiny (95ish% of all land in Texas is private) and nearly all of it concentrated in Deep East, Far West, and The Panhandle. And who in their right mind wants to vacation in those three locations?!?

What part of my post is confusing? I live in Dallas- Denton county, Collin county and lived in a few others..just looks up the laws regarding alcohol if something seems amiss.

Same for abortion rights for women- all of the planned parenthood places pretty much shut down...In any case it is interesting seeing how Texans view Californians and vice versa- when both places have their quirks.
I am not trying really hard to make Texans out to be bad or exaggerate- -I was responding to a post (which I know was meant as a joke)- regarding attitudes matching those of Texas and Texans.
My points were fact-based on law here and personal experiences.
A few thoughts....

1. Church is like a social group for a lot of people here. Instead of getting offended take it as an offer of friendship. There's no obligation to attend, but getting mad that someone is trying to invite you into an important part of their life is a douche move. While I don't evangelicalize, there's a fair number of Christians who see it as ther duty.

2. Collin County blows. It'd be like judging all of California by living in Berkley. I was born in Texas (grew up in Virginia), love Texas with all of my heart and HATED living in the Plano/Frisco area with the fire of 1000 suns. It's one of the fakest, most plastic areas in the state. The only place in this state I dislike more is Houston.

3. Two weeks ago I stood by one of my best friend's side while he married his husband. They then had a hand-binding ceremony with the third guy in their relationship. In a church focused around LGBT parishioners. Some people take issue with me raising and slaughtering my own livestock publicly because of "animal rights". Opinions are like @ssholes dude.

4. Blue laws exist in 29 states. Including DC, Illinois, and New York...not exactly conservative bastions.

5. The abortion debate is ********. So is the CA assault weapons ban. See what I did there?

6. Texans like the state the way it is mostly. Yes there's stuff I want to change. But guaranteed the way to alienate Texans is to move from somewhere else and start *****ing it's not where you came from. You're more than welcome to head back if you wish. Just don't f#ck up my state because you moved here for job opportunities or college.

Summit

Critical Crazy
We have a fair amount of public land acreage wise (more than the size of some eastern states), the problem is percentage wise it's tiny (95ish% of all land in Texas is private) and nearly all of it concentrated in Deep East, Far West, and The Panhandle. And who in their right mind wants to vacation in those three locations?!?

Saying that you have more public land than the size of Delaware is not much of a claim. As you point out, TX has proportionally little and what there is not easily accessed. In MOST Western states the vast majority of the population is less than 1 hour from HUGE public lands... even in San Fransisco and LA.

west-best-report-map-1b.png

It's 3x as easy for someone in Boston to get to a national forest as is it is for someone in Abilene... not that I'd want to live either place.

Texans probably have nearly the worst access to public land of any state... EXCEPT FOR THE BEACH! :)

6. Texans like the state the way it is mostly. Yes there's stuff I want to change. But guaranteed the way to alienate Texans is to move from somewhere else and start *****ing it's not where you came from. You're more than welcome to head back if you wish. Just don't f#ck up my state because you moved here for job opportunities or college.
That's how I feel about CO. Consequently, people moving from TX are needed here to culturally balance the people moving from NY and CA.

OP
OP
Mitchell Snyder

Mitchell Snyder

Forum Ride Along
Lol this escalated quickly... Honestly guys here is my background... I am a Catholic, Conservative man... Love my guns, and I would like to go somewhere where I can raise my family and still afford to have fun with them.... Being from southern California I am spending every last red cent that I have on my house and utilities. Knowing that anyone got any suggestions lol

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Have you considered Oregon or Washington? Close to California as well and many of their counties have very progressive scopes of practice.