Looking for work in Mass but having a hardtime.

PaulieThePirate

Forum Probie
Anyone know of anyone hiring EMT-B in Mass. Ive apply a lot of places but no luck. Thanks

micsaver

Forum Crew Member
I live in the Worcester area and actually drive an hour to work in the Northampton/Springfield area. It's pretty hard to find openings around here, but there is also a lot of turnover. Best thing to do is keep submitting applications. Don't just put one in somewhere and think "ya if they get an opening in 2 months they will call me". Most likely not. So call them and see if there are openings. Making the calls and going in person to pick up an application and doing it right there can sometimes help get you noticed. Central MA is saturated with so many BLS transport companies that your bound to be able to get into one of them somewhere. I had it hard because I was looking for per diem. Most places are looking for full time. GOOD LUCK :)

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There have been some discussions of this here before (recently), please do a search. As of a few weeks ago, Fallon and Cataldo were hiring just about everyone with a pulse and a ticket, but I dont know how that has changed. Dont expect to get on BostonEMS right now, but shoot for the privates.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
AMR around boston is not hiring, try out in western MA

imurphy

Forum Captain
According to my source, Boston EMS will be hiring again at the end of the summer. However, bear in mind that the people that weren't hired because of the freeze will get first refusal, so it may still be some time!

The big hirers at the mo are Cataldo and Fallon, due to getting the Partners contract. From what I've heard, Fallon has taken on about 150 and Cataldo at least 75.

Action EMS has no FT positions open, but has PT open. You may be waiting a while though.

That's all I know of for now, but you can apply online to them at:

Fallon

Cataldo

Action

Hope this helps!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I personally know the owner of Professional Ambulance in Cambridge. He's a very stand up man and runs an excellent service. I don't know if he's hiring but if i was looking for a job I'd want to work for him.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I personally know the owner of Professional Ambulance in Cambridge. He's a very stand up man and runs an excellent service. I don't know if he's hiring but if i was looking for a job I'd want to work for him.
I have a good friend who is applying at Pro. It really is one of the best services in the area to work for, and I would be proud to wear that uniform.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief

Agreed. Good guy, excellent equipment and QA/QI program.

imurphy

Forum Captain
Did you end up going with anyone?

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Professional Ambulance is really great. They are CAAS certified. There are only about 100 ambulance companies certified and it seems pretty presitigious.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
fallon, cataldo and Armstrong hire pretty much all the time. Armstrong is currently in the process of trying to get CAAS certified. Pro is only a full time gig but you get a ton of experience. It seems like they are trying to go in the all medic direction. Fallon seems to be hiring anyone. Call everywhere you applied. Then call again and again. No joke.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
As other have said, Fallon and Cataldo are hiring anyone with a pulse. As of last week, Pro had an application list that was at least 60 names long, and no open positions... good luck with that...EasCare is always hiring, try Armstrong, try McCall, Alert, etc. You can actually go onto the OEMS site and they will list all ambulance companies in the state, with their contact info. Use that...

The key in MA EMS is to submit an application then to follow up with it in ~1 week by calling the HR office.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Wouldn't recommend getting too hung up on whether a company is "CAAS" or not. Action is, PRO is, Rockingham is, along with about a half dozen others in the immediate New England area. And of all those mentioned, they all do the same job for an equivalent salary regardless of CAAS or otherwise. CAAS equates to #1) having a policy for everything #2) ostensibly having cutting edge protocols #3) the ability to pay the huge fee for accreditation.

Work where they'll pay you the most and where you'll get some 911 experience. Don't fall into the trap of "Cataldo/Atlantic/PRO are the only emergency BLS". Most any company with a municipal emergency contract will have their BLS experiencing responses. Also don't overlook that EVERY private EMS with a nursing facility contract will expose you to some of the sickest pts you'll ever encounter.