Looking For the Right Town.

Fox800

Forum Captain
Also look into Wake County EMS, since you mentioned some other places in the Carolinas.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Seconded. Wake County is a great place to live with the best EMS system in the world!

/possibly slight exaggeration...or is it?

Maybe best in the US, but it still doesn't compare to several overseas systems :p

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe best in the US, but it still doesn't compare to several overseas systems :p

You just wait...after I get my MD I plan on sneaking back into EMS for a little fun. I hope to maybe get to work as a medical director for an EMS system somewhere, so I can hop back on the trucks, but with an orange jumpsuit that says "Doctor" on it.

OP
OP
E

ebass30920

Forum Crew Member
Fox thanks that was a great breakdown. Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I will be taking registry the 17th so its just a waiting game now. I am going to start applying after I pass the test.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Fox thanks that was a great breakdown. Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I will be taking registry the 17th so its just a waiting game now. I am going to start applying after I pass the test.

In TX a lot of places won't look at applications until you get your TX cert... But once you apply for TX cert, as soon as it shows up on the website you can work, even if the paper card isn't in your hand yet

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thanks again JT I will make sure to put that through their office first.

NO problem. Figure I can maybe help since I was in that situation w/ my EMT-I cert this summer when I was looking for work here in tX :)

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
If you want a challenge move to New Zealand

- No "protocols" (we have guidelines)
- No "medical control"
- Almost total clinical autonomy
- Wide scopes of practice for Paramedic and Intensive Care Paramedic
- Ambulance Officer inititiated non-transport and alternate referral
- Proactive, strong and passionate clinical support people
- Paid clinical education time
- The Fire Service is totally seperate
- On road RSI and thrombolysis are being rolled out as resources allow

You could probably expect to make Paramedic in twelve to eighteen months and Intensive Care Paramedic in maybe three years.

OP
OP
E

ebass30920

Forum Crew Member
I would love to move to NZ. I have a couple years left in the Military and as I understand it NZ is quite picky about immigration. I hear it is very difficult to move there. Great scenery, amazing ocean, and no SNAKES who wouldnt want to live there?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If you're considering SC, I would get your medic cert first. I worked in Charleston for a little bit. They paid EMT-B's and EMT-I's the same. It may be the same elsewhere in the state.

medic084

Forum Ride Along
I will be looking into Austin-Travis Co and Williams County also. I have family in DFW area and also Austin area. Is there anywhere other than medstar in the DFW area? I dont mind fire based or even just ALS recuse. I am very wary of a private company especially in an urban area. Medstar may be the one good one but my experience has been its all about billing and not so much pt. care with other 911 privates. Not saying thats always the case but thats how I feel now. DFW and Austin would both be good for me so any other insight is appreciated.

I work for MedStar in Fort Worth and I can say with certainty that there is a tremendous focus on patient care here. In fact, we have developed several one-of-a-kind programs that have increased cardiac arrest survival rates, proactively monitor and assist community health care patients and even post-incident instructions for patient who refuse care. We also have significant growth opportunities for dedicated medics who really want to push themselves clinically. You don’t have to take my word for it – the Texas Department of Health Services just recognized MedStar as Texas’ EMS Provider of the Year and our medical director as Texas EMS Medical Director of the Year: here’s a link to local news coverage about it in a recent edition of the Fort Worth Business Press: http://www.bizpress.net/main.asp?SubSectionID=39&ArticleID=13787&SectionID=14