Looking for school suggestions

mreid99

Forum Crew Member
I centently live in Central Florida and wanted to know if anyone has recommendations over one medic school or another.

Thanks In Advance

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I don't know the schools in Florida. Do you have a link to the schools your considering? Just curious.

What agencies hire paramedics in Orlando and other nearby areas? Once I finish medic school I may want to move down to Florida.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I would try the community colleges first. There are at least two near Orlando and a few more colleges near both coasts. The colleges offer both the certificate and two year degree for the Paramedic.

There are also many medic mills in the area. They are very expensive and offer easy entrance with full financing. The medic mills are approved by the state of Florida but most are not accredited by CAAHEP or CoAEMSP. The community colleges do have these accreditations. I would stick with an accredited program whose credits will transfer to any college if you decide to continue your education. Two year degrees offered by "career schools" also may not transfer since the school as a whole is accredited by a different agency representing trade schools.

Central Florida has a lot to offer in education with access to several great colleges and universities. I got my B.S. degree in Cardiopulmonary Science at UCF after my A.S. in EMS from a community college. That was many years ago and I have since gotten my Masters. I did not have plans initially to go that far in education but was wisely advised when I first started in EMS to get a degree since that was going to be the way of the future. That was 30 years ago and I still have faith that Florida will eventually make the two year degree a standard for the Paramedic license.

So, when choosing a school, plan for the future even if a college degree is not in your plans now.

EDIT: Just read through your profile and myspace. I see you have already been through the college thing and are probably close to my youthful age. I would still check out the community colleges even with your income. I personally love college life and will probably still be a student at 80.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I reccommend the same as Vent, for as that goes anyone considering continuing into Paramedic school. I highly suggest to screen any school, university, instutition to be sure it has met the credentials of CAAHEP or CoAEMSP ratings. This ensures that they have met the rigourous credentialling process of ensuring that they provide a program, rather than just classes.

One has to be careful on just recommendations from friends. Remember, most do not have anything really to compare it to. Almost, all describe that their basic was excellent, to only later find out it was very lacking. As in threads and posts located on this site, topics were never discussed, taught, or given details enough to be sufficient.

Good luck in your endeavour,

R/r 911