Looking for information on the hiring process. EMT in NorCal.

chriso

Forum Crew Member
Just passed national registry and am itching to get out in the field. I'm wondering what the hiring process is like as a EMT-B? What can I expect? I am always professional so no need for tips on that just looking for tips as far as the EMS oriented interviewing goes. I'm located in Stockton right now but would be willing to commute for a decent job around here. Any tips for a new fella? Thanks guys and gals, I appreciate it!

OP
OP
C

chriso

Forum Crew Member
No one? Not to many job postings right now. I was considering going to some of the headquarters and applying.

emtpche

Forum Crew Member
Right now there are more EMT's than job openings for transport companies. Don's feel bad it is the same for medic's as well.

In your neck of the woods you have AMR, Priority-one, and I think NorCal. Going in either of the four directions you have Medic, TLC, First Responder,Verihealth in Sac area and down in Modest you AMR, some hospital based providers, Protrans-1( don't confuse with Priority One). You can head into the Bay Area and try with Rural Metro in San Jose(Santa Clara County) or come November Paramedic Plus (Alameda County). May have missed a few.

Good luck

OP
OP
C

chriso

Forum Crew Member
I would really prefer not to do IFT as I said I don't see a lot of postings but I wonder if it would be worth a try going to the stations and seeing if they are hiring.

OP
OP
C

chriso

Forum Crew Member
Priority one says they provide 911 on contract with stockton fire but I have heard otherwise and I also heard AMR has the 911 contract for SJ county now. AMR has no job postings but like I said I wonder if it's worth a try to go in and see if they are hiring...

sop

Forum Lieutenant
Right now there are more EMT's than job openings for transport companies. Don's feel bad it is the same for medic's as well.

The same thing is going on in my neck of the woods (Alabama). You put in an application somewhere and it takes a long time to hear from them, due to the amount of EMTs and medics applying for the same positions. I wish there was something we can do to get ahead of the game.

emtpche

Forum Crew Member
With the amount of folks looking for work at this time starting off on an IFT might good thing. To tell you the truth IFT is where you are going to have the most patient contact. As a new EMT that is going to be crucial to your skills. 911 sounds all fun and everything when you just get out of school. The cold fact is you most likely have little patient contact depending on the county you work in, the company you work for and/or your partner.

The biggest question that you are going to face is what makes you different than the other 30+ EMT's going for the job?