Looking for help / info for EMT Texas Jobs

erodriguez1236

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys I have been an EMT for a reputable company in LA County that runs 911. I have been an EMT for 2 years and I am looking to move / relocate to Texas, specifically the Plano area. I wanted to see if anyone that knows or lives in Texas can recommend Ambulance Companies that run 911 or any hospital that have ER techs. Please help!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
In the Plano area, 911 is mostly fire. AMR has a county contract north in Collin County (but not in the cities) and they have Hunt County as well. Some of the counties have their own stuff. Only cities that a private service I can think of offhand are Balch Springs (CareFlite) and Arlington (AMR)

There's a bunch of IFT/CCT type companies. Allegiance, Acadian, AMR too, CareFlite, TLC. Few others that I'm sure that I forgot.

Hospitals? Oh man. Sometimes it seems like you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a hospital. Baylor, Texas Health, Tenet, HCA, and all of the smaller stand-alone ER places too. Some of them are pretty comprehensive little places, though, so that's something else you might look.

Although seeing you're an EMT... not easy to get into a 911 gig with just EMT-B here at the present time. And some of the hospitals will want an EMT-I/P for the tech gigs, but not all. I'm just thinking of what's close to Plano.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I haven't been working long in Texas, but have lived here my whole life and have been looking for a job as a Basic for a few months now. Just landed one in an ER in Austin.

That said, I think a question you should answer first is are you looking to move on to Paramedic (if this is your career, just say yes). If you are, there are some services, both by city and private companies, that are starting to hire Basics and pay for their Paramedic school, which will be either external or internal. I don't know specifics as that is not my path, but just know it does exist, so definitely ask about it.

Austin-Travis County EMS is one of THE best EMS systems in the United States with excellent personnel and equipment. And, they hire basics. They have a different employment system then most, so definitely check them out.

Any idea where you are looking to live? I know San Marcos (30 minutes south of Austin) just closed their process for the season, and Lockhart (through Seton, near San Marcos) seems to be struggling to find keepers.

What I truly suggest is get a job with a private company, specifically Acadian or AMR, and get settled in the state and then start focusing on the cities (if that's what you're wanting to do). Acadian and AMR both have 911 and non-911 contracts throughout the state, so you'll just have to check out their websites for career info.

Another random note, San Antonio is saturated with private ambulance companies. Austin is pretty much ruled by AMR and Acadian for private, and the city runs all of the 911. Not sure about Dallas. Not a fan of Dallas, too urban for me.

In my experience, cities generally don't require experience, though it only helps. Starting off at private companies, 911 or not, is a common occurrence around here, or so it seems from higher-ups that I've talked to. Personally I worked in San Antonio for a mere few weeks with a transport company then landed the ER job in Austin.

Good luck to you!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Austin-Travis County EMS is one of THE best EMS systems in the United States with excellent personnel and equipment. And, they hire basics. They have a different employment system then most, so definitely check them out.
:rofl: No. They like to say they are, but the ATC that used to be "premier" is by no means what they used to be. There's a reason they are constantly hiring people (hint: it's not because they are expanding). Take a swig of water to wash that sour kool-aid out of your mouth.

SA does have a fair amount of privates, but most are very small operations. If you're near SA, the only ones to pay attention to are Acadian, SouthernCross, and Metro.

I just reread your post, OP, and saw you were looking at Plano. MedStar in Fort Worth would be a very good option. I believe Champion EMS is in your area, as is CareFlight. Guardian EMS would likely be a good option, too. Usalsfyre is from your general area I believe, so perhaps he will chime in as well.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
:rofl: No. They like to say they are, but the ATC that used to be "premier" is by no means what they used to be. There's a reason they are constantly hiring people (hint: it's not because they are expanding). Take a swig of water to wash that sour kool-aid out of your mouth.

Other than having strict policies and being known for running personnel to the ground from time to time, what makes you say that? Obviously their service area isn't expanding, because the only expansion Austin is doing is for COTA. Fire is a whole other animal, but correct, ATCEMS is not physically expanding. Are they really hiring that many people between hiring processes?

Not to call you out, but if you're going to throw down, at least elaborate.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
They tout progressive protocols, which are average at best. They run their personnel into the ground. They hire medics and now force them to work as basics (not an issue if you're a basic, but a slap in the face if you're a medic). They've been slammed on multiple audits in recent years from issues ranging from collections, logistics, burnout, and general sustainability.

My former partner was an ATC medic. I should get her on here to rant about the shortcomings from an interior perspective. Another coworker worked for ATC, was hired with a group of 20 in 2006- there is now only one medic left from that hiring class. They had been hiring nearly 40/yr at one point (not sure what they're at now), but they're not near big enough for that to be replacement of retirees (I'd be willing to bet that retirees make up an exceptionally small portion of that number). Retention alone, or lack thereof, should tell you all you need to know. If you can't keep employees, despite paying them fairly well and considerably above average, there's something wrong.

If you want to be a paramedic, you would be much better off going a couple miles north and working for Williamson Co.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
They tout progressive protocols, which are average at best. They run their personnel into the ground. They hire medics and now force them to work as basics (not an issue if you're a basic, but a slap in the face if you're a medic). They've been slammed on multiple audits in recent years from issues ranging from collections, logistics, burnout, and general sustainability.

My former partner was an ATC medic. I should get her on here to rant about the shortcomings from an interior perspective. Another coworker worked for ATC, was hired with a group of 20 in 2006- there is now only one medic left from that hiring class. They had been hiring nearly 40/yr at one point (not sure what they're at now), but they're not near big enough for that to be replacement of retirees (I'd be willing to bet that retirees make up an exceptionally small portion of that number). Retention alone, or lack thereof, should tell you all you need to know. If you can't keep employees, despite paying them fairly well and considerably above average, there's something wrong.

If you want to be a paramedic, you would be much better off going a couple miles north and working for Williamson Co.

I see your point, guess I just haven't been inside the bureaucracy of it. Interesting that you bring up Wilco, was thinking the same thing. Catch with them is, as you mentioned, it is Paramedic only. Did my rideouts with them, and one of my instructors works with them. Its a great system, sure, but some of the stations are a total drag. But hey, some folks want that.

A SAR buddy of mine, who is a medic for Wilco and glowstick for Task Force, was ranting about ATCEMS last week to me when I explained why I couldn't work there (I'm a full time student), mentioning how one of his friends died in an MVC while returning home after a 48 hour shift. Figured that was just a one time thing. Guess not. Ah well. Thanks for the insight.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I work for a service about 4 hours SW of Dallas... 7 days on 7 days off and I think we're looking for personnel right now. Progressive protocols, and pay is good for rural/frontier.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Wish I could jump on that offer... Looks like a cool system.

xrsm002

Forum Captain

I agree ATCEMS protocols aren't all that great. Lubbock EMS and specifically South Plains EMS organization who Lubbock EMS and several other EMS agencies fall under are better but that's my opinion. I did my training under them.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Boston EMS also starts medics as basics, as do a lot of other services. The only problem with ATCEMS is that the pay is crap. Basics (also medics working as basics) start off making 50k a year. Not to shabby for the EMS world. Boston only runs with minimal dedicated ALS units and is known as one of the best agencies in the country. Once you prove yourself you can apply to move up to a Medic slot when they become available.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief

SA does have a fair amount of privates, but most are very small operations. If you're near SA, the only ones to pay attention to are Acadian, SouthernCross, and Metro.

I just reread your post, OP, and saw you were looking at Plano. MedStar in Fort Worth would be a very good option. I believe Champion EMS is in your area, as is CareFlight. Guardian EMS would likely be a good option, too. Usalsfyre is from your general area I believe, so perhaps he will chime in as well.

Ugh. Don't get me started on atcems.