looking for a Wilderness EMT school recommendation.

mreid99

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone here have any recommendation for Wilderness EMT schools.

Since I have my NREMT, it would only need to be the update version.

Thanks in advance

Mark

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Wilderness Medicine Outfitters is the one I've heard most recommended but they are pretty pricey.

You also need to check out if your state or the one you wish to work in actually recognized Wilderness EMT. I live in Washington State and teach ASHI Wilderness Med. Courses. My state doesn't recognize Wilderness EMT as a credential but Wilderness First Aid is required for anyone doing work in the State or Federal forest lands or parks.

There's a lot of good information in the Wilderness Med courses, but I've found that there is often a conflict between what wildness med teaches and local protocols.

Summit

Critical Crazy
You aren't in a good part of the country for that :p

I can recommend plenty out west.

Colorado Mountain College...
Desert Mountain Medicine...
Wilderness Medical Institute...

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The Wilderness Medicine Society has a list of seminars and classes.

http://www.wms.org/

The University of FL also has Wilderness Seminars periodically through their Health and Human Performance School.
http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/

The University of Florida Extension will occassionally have survival classes in the Everglades also.

OP
OP
M

mreid99

Forum Crew Member
Location, I realize I'll have to travel for the right class. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Wildnerness EMT is an educational course, not an separate EMT level as many is attempting to place. I seen in EMS magazine an author credentials as EMT/P, WEMT ? So he is not a medic, because it is in the woods?..

Although, an ideal course for those that will be working in those areas, it is just an additional educational course.

R/r911

JonathanGennick

Forum Probie
Does anyone here have any recommendation for Wilderness EMT schools.

Since I have my NREMT, it would only need to be the update version.
I want to take the same sort of course myself. The two schools I've been looking at are the National Outdoor Leadership School (nols.edu) and SOLO Wilderness Medicine (soloschools.com). Which I go to will probably come down to schedule. The upgrade course doesn't seem to be offered all that often. Location might matter too, as I'll probably piggy-back a family vacation onto whatever trip I have to take for the course.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Wildnerness EMT is an educational course, not an separate EMT level as many is attempting to place. I seen in EMS magazine an author credentials as EMT/P, WEMT ? So he is not a medic, because it is in the woods?..

Although, an ideal course for those that will be working in those areas, it is just an additional educational course.

R/r911

That would be like complaining if someone writing for a state journal in a state that has an IV upgrade course wrote their cert as EMT-B/IV

The 60-100 hour course offers a slightly expanded scope if the medical director allows.

I certainly think WEMT is a valid thing to write in a title if it is in appropriate context like an article for a wilderness medicine oriented article or journal (I have done so).

Trailpatrol

Forum Crew Member
Wemt

I strongly recommend either Wilderness Medical Associates in Portland, Maine (www.wildmed.com) or the Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS (www.nols.edu/wmi/) for WEMT training, however any place you trake the training should follow the guidelines set forth by the Wilderness Medical Society.

I've been Wilderness-certified almost since the training came out years ago. I think it is redundant to put "EMT-B, WEMT" after my name on signatures and such when it is needed, so I just use "WEMT". It shows that I am both an EMT and have some reason for the letter "W" in front of it.

Summit

Critical Crazy

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
This looks very interesting. The best part is the Maine program is a mere 100 miles away from me and very doable. I am going to try to fit this into my schedule.

Trailpatrol

Forum Crew Member
Wilderness EMT training came out a year ago, huh? ;)

Where do you get that. Summit? I said "years" ago, like 1979. Again in '81 and '83 etc. ad nauseum.

Brad, WMA has a great program, and does a lot of outreach programs a various schools, agencies and outdoor groups. If you live east of the Mississippi, I would go to them, but wait until their new books are all published in June, so you will have the latest materials.

West of the Mississippi, I would go with NOLS-WMI.

Summit

Critical Crazy

m33kr0b

Forum Crew Member
Shoot me a email (joshua(at)grgeek.com). We will be teaching an AWLS class in September in Grand Rapids, MI. If you are interested, I can get you details when they become available.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
I will have information on WEMT in Maine shortly. My class is over in a week and my teacher is teaching one of them. It is 8 weeks long and not too time demanding. She tells me you will have free time, and time to go to the city. I live in Portland and will PM you the information I receive. WEMT is huge here. Good luck.