LMAs

33mongo

Forum Ride Along
Our department just gave us the order on cardiac arrest patient to use LMAs.
Any thoughts. I personally liked the combi-tube but that is what I was tought to use. Any other BLS departments use a LMA instead of a combi-tube.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I like LMA's, but I've only used them in the OR. I've talked to a couple of doctors about them, mainly because my fiance had hernia surgery and he wanted an LMA instead of a tube - but they are contraindicated anytime someone can vomit because they lack the balloon to protect the airway from the "yukka-yukkas" (to quote a chief of mine).

We don't have LMA's in the field in Suffolk (Long Island).

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hey... at least you can do one or the other... In PA, LMAs are Verboten, and combi-tubes are ALS-level only.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
33mongo said:
Our department just gave us the order on cardiac arrest patient to use LMAs.
Any thoughts. I personally liked the combi-tube but that is what I was tought to use. Any other BLS departments use a LMA instead of a combi-tube.

What was the reasoning behind choosing LMAs over combitubes?

OP
OP
33mongo

33mongo

Forum Ride Along
Honestly all I know is we are the first in the area to do this. I think its a test and everytime we use them our cheif has to make some huge report to the medical director. Oh ya I try to do as I told most of the time. I sucks being on the bottem.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Combi-tubes were suspended in our county for a while due to a high incidence of misuse and or resulting trauma (worse than regular tubes). LMAs are much less invasive. We now can use combi's again, but only as an ALS second resort, and only if you've been through the advanced airway class (on top of your regular ALS airway trainings).

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Guardian said:
In my humble opinion, LMAs don't belong in EMS
Why?

They are supposed to cause less airway trauma.

The counter-arugement is that they aren't stable enough and don't fully seal off the airway, allowing for aspiration.

Is there another reason?

emtbuff

Forum Captain
We had an airway class at the hospital here a while back, we were told that LMAs are perfect for in the surgical settings because the patient is NPO. But out in the field and CPR cases you are better off going with a combi tube which EMS here can do. The hospital staff also has King LT I believe that is what they are called that they can use also.