Living on the career

hitman196

Forum Probie
Hello im a 16 year old attendant for a ems station out in new york and also in the middle of the sticks. I've been working there volunteer for almost 6 months now which i know isn't a lot of i have taken a liking for this work. I have had some bad calls so far but nothing to bad.

I have been thinking about getting into doing this for a job and I was wondering if I could really survive doing this. I mean live comfortable money wise for a while doing this. Im going for my EMT - B in January and testing in June right before I graduate high school. I'm also interested in becoming a paramedic but should I go to school for it right away or wait a bit?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I can't speak for your area, but in Colorado it's very difficult to get any EMS jobs if you're under 21. I'm told it's due to insurance reasons.

Personally, I volunteered as an EMT while I was getting my bachelor's degree. Then I went to paramedic school. It hasn't made a difference in terms of getting jobs, but I think I'm a better medic for having taken college-level biology, chemistry, A&P, writing, etc.

I actually took biochemistry after paramedic school and I wish I would have taken it earlier. I had lots of "Why didn't anyone tell me this?!" moments in biochem.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
In general, basic get paid poorly. There is a county here that does pay 36k/yr for basics, which is phenomenal.

Go for your paramedic if you truly have any desire to do this.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The way things are moving if you want to be a paramedic a degree is a good idea even if it's an Associates. The only thing I'd change about my past is I'd have finished college before going to medic school.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Search and read some of our posts.

EMT is generally poorly paid, punishing psychologically, socially and physically, and has essentially no career ladder.

Continue doing it as a pass-time but get your education and aim higher. It may come in handy as a job and will be an adventure you look back on, but most prehospital EMS workers have to leave the field to progress or even survive.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Search and read some of our posts.

EMT is generally poorly paid, punishing psychologically, socially and physically, and has essentially no career ladder.

Continue doing it as a pass-time but get your education and aim higher. It may come in handy as a job and will be an adventure you look back on, but most prehospital EMS workers have to leave the field to progress or even survive.

Go to college, go to college, go to college!

Get your EMT at some point, volunteer on campus.

If you like medicine GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL and be an emergency physician :)

EMS is a great but making it for the long run is difficult.

OP
OP
hitman196

hitman196

Forum Probie
Thanks guys for all the input. I may look into an ER doctor but since I still have time im on the fence right now. I don't know if I want to do medical stuff or get into law enforcement but I do have some time because you cant join the law enforcement till your 21 in New York. I want to be out helping people but I don't want to be stuck in a hospital really. I like being on the road meeting new people everyday.

Tampasteve

Forum Ride Along
First time poster...so my opinion may be off :sad:and may not hold much weight...but....

Get your AA at least and if possible get your EMT classes at a college. It may take longer than some EMT programs, but the transferable credits are worth it (IMHO). If you want to move into law enforcement or become a FF a lot (most?) of departments require you to have an AA at least. I know most of the law enforcement departments in this area require an AA now and it can only help you if you want to be a FF. If you can get your EMT-B done at an accredited school the credits will transfer and you can get higher credentials, if you desire.