Lights on non-emergency vehicle

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
At the risk of sounding like a posing douche bag, I'd like to ask a question about lights on a non-emergency vehicle. And before I begin, let me tell you that I have ZERO interest in putting a ridiculous looking light bar on my car; I'm simply asking because my friend has lights on his vehicle.

Well, last night I found out that my friend (rescue squad -- ambulances) has a setting on his lights that makes them blink (you know... like your headlights, or at least there are lights underneath) -- and they're white/clear.

He was telling me that he never uses them unless there's a bad accident while he's not at the station. And this is in North Carolina.

What do you think of it all?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If it's legal in the state and the agency allows it for response to the scene without going to the station first, ok.

OP
OP
J

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
If it's legal in the state and the agency allows it for response to the scene without going to the station first, ok.

Let me ask you this: if you were driving down the road and you saw him driving down the road with his lights blinking, would you think he was a douche bag? lol

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Let me ask you this: if you were driving down the road and you saw him driving down the road with his lights blinking, would you think he was a douche bag? lol

I'd think he needs to get his wiring checked. If I saw that behind me, I'd continue on my way. Wouldn't yield to that vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
If the lights aren't red or blue, they don't mean anything to me and they likely aren't authorized by the local government.

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF

Yes! In addition to being a poser/wannabe :rolleyes:

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
In our rural situation we have the ambulances parked at the base and drive our POVs to the office, hop into the ambulance, and respond. There is a provincial law that permits us to use emergency lighting in our POVs provided we are responding to an emergency, but it has to be green. Ambulances are red/white fire apparati red/red.

Now, I live in a town of less than 1000 people with another 3000 in a 2500km rural area. I do about 500 calls a year and live 4 blocks from the base. My opinion is that a flashing little green dash light is not going to save me any time getting to my ambulance.

The law was enacted in response to vollie fire fighters blasting through stop signs or lights and getting into accidents.....it doesn't help, they just drive even more like idiots.

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
I live in NC and do respond pov to fire and first responder calls. If i am not mistaken(this is mostly correct just unsure about one or two lights) in nc blue is for cops, red is fire ambulance and police, green or purple is funeral. Also if your friend has what i think your saying it is either stobes or wig-wags. In nc you can not have wig wags on any pov unless you are a chief officer which makes your pov an emergency vehicle. Strobes are legal in nc

army1turner

Forum Ride Along
I think its smart, i mean i know in my case i seem to be a crap magnic, i roll up on alot of recks. and white strobes are simply a form of caution. smart idea.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You can't consider a person a poser if he's already an EMT... that statement just doesn't make sense.

Yes you can. I've met several posers that are EMTs who might have the cert but can't get a job with any service.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Yes you can. I've met several posers that are EMTs who might have the cert but can't get a job with any service.

Not to mention the ones who do get jobs who shouldn't have.