Lightbars in personal vehicles?

gradygirl

TROUBLE
OK, I have heard of one fairly new ordinance in our area. AMR (in CT, at least) has made it company policy to fire ANY employee who does not come to a full stop at a stop sign, stop light, what-have-you, regardless of what vehicle said employee is driving. So basically, if someone from the dept. sees their coworker driving a personal vehicle not fully stop at a stop sign, they are obligated to report the violation and the offending employee will be fired.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
TCERT1987 said:
OK, I have heard of one fairly new ordinance in our area. AMR (in CT, at least) has made it company policy to fire ANY employee who does not come to a full stop at a stop sign, stop light, what-have-you, regardless of what vehicle said employee is driving. So basically, if someone from the dept. sees their coworker driving a personal vehicle not fully stop at a stop sign, they are obligated to report the violation and the offending employee will be fired.

scare tactic from beginning to end. they cant fire you for something you did on your time, in your vehicle on the finger of another street level employee. its not possible, probable or legal.

ex.: person a pisses of person b. to get back at person a , person b files an erroneous report of a blown red light by person a. the next day, person b actually runs a red light, witnessed by person a. a report is filed.

from the companies standpoint, which reprort is valid and which isnt. anybody with a fuctioning brainstem can see that at least one of these reports is retalitory(when in fact both are)

its a bs scare tactic trying to get amr employees to toe the line just a little bit more. they tried the same thing when i was there and it died in about a week. they also put the black boxes in the truck. man were those fun to play with. its pathetic and disgusting to me

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I agree, it does sound a little far fetch for a private company, especially driving violations (minor). Sounds like a little "safety" blurb, hopefully to make each other drive better, albeit, it appears stupid.

R/r 911

gradygirl

TROUBLE
KEVD18 said:
its a bs scare tactic trying to get amr employees to toe the line just a little bit more.

I wish it were just a scare tactic. Unfortunately, two friends of mine were just fired by AMR for allegedly not stopping at an intersection before going through while on a code. These two incidents were unrelated and both were unfounded, one because the supervisor saw the alleged running of the stop light in his rearview mirror. Both people claim that they came to a complete stop, but both were still fired.

VinBin

Forum Captain
Speaking of trauma doc's and lights/sirens, I think thats probably the only time (generalizing, of course) when it would warrant someone responding with their personal vehicle to a call. I would be all for that Neurosurgeon getting to the hospital a few min faster, rather than some EMT/Medic flying down at 90 to get to a headache call 1 or 2 min before the ambulance.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Or better yet, you could take the patient to a neuro staffed and equipped hospital..............

VinBin

Forum Captain
arent most trauma centers staffed with surgeons "on call"?? They dont have to be at the hospital, yes?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
TCERT1987 said:
AMR's national safety policy says that, running "code 3" or not, you MUST stop at any red light or stop sign... and termnation is a KNOWN punisment for the FIRST offense. EVERY employee is told this at the time of hire... you can't say "no one told me".

I did not belive that it can be applied "off work" in personal vehicles... and I don't think AMR, anywhere, would let regular employees run any form of "emergency" lights in their Personal Vehicles... If someone gets canned for something they did in their POV, off the clock, then AMR will probably be sued.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Flight-LP said:
Tertiary level 1 trauma centers will have neurosurgery in house.

I wished that was always true... I know of two Level I that have neurosurgery on call. They are evaluated by a 2'nd year neuro resident then called in ... and yes, they are ACS certified Level I... yeah, scary

r/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
yeah, in a company truck you'll get canned on the spot. my argument was to you first statement, "regardless of what vehicle said employee is driving". that lead me to believe that you included pov's.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
fair enough. i think i know of the whole personal vehicle thing because of another person i know being fired by amr for an alleged red light violation, but then being rehired. he was told if he was seen not following company protocol while in his personal vehicle, he would be fired again. i guess it was their way of throwing their weight around and saying "we'll forgive you once..." <_<

darkhorse72

Forum Ride Along
I am new to the forum and a new First Responder. I don't as yet have lights on my POV because I am a volunteer and the funds need to come from my pocket, but I will have them. After reading this thread I felt that there is a very important use for lights that is being overlooked. I live in a very rural area. I agree there is no reason to speed. I also agree that there are some old school drivers who will pull off to let you by. I say old school because I remember my first drivers license test had a question about allowing emergency vehicles to pass. It was law then, guess it isn't or isn't important enough to ticket now. The reason I will have lights is that I will most likely be on the scene 25 to 30 minutes before an ambulance will arrive. We live in a very mountainous, wooded area with lots of dirt roads, logging roads, snowmobile trails, etc. The lights on my vehicle as well as the other responders will help to direct the ambulance to the area. We know more about our back yard then the ambulance service does and those lights can save them a lot of time.
Just another perspective.

cpsains

Forum Probie
It was cool to have lights on my POV for about 2 months. The newness was gone and the reality set in. It is a big responsability. Not willing to risk it with all the wonderful drivers on are roads now adays. I still kept the light inside and put it on at the scene, as a marker for arriving units.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
darkhorse72 said:
I am new to the forum and a new First Responder. I don't as yet have lights on my POV because I am a volunteer and the funds need to come from my pocket, but I will have them. After reading this thread I felt that there is a very important use for lights that is being overlooked. I live in a very rural area. I agree there is no reason to speed. I also agree that there are some old school drivers who will pull off to let you by. I say old school because I remember my first drivers license test had a question about allowing emergency vehicles to pass. It was law then, guess it isn't or isn't important enough to ticket now. The reason I will have lights is that I will most likely be on the scene 25 to 30 minutes before an ambulance will arrive. We live in a very mountainous, wooded area with lots of dirt roads, logging roads, snowmobile trails, etc. The lights on my vehicle as well as the other responders will help to direct the ambulance to the area. We know more about our back yard then the ambulance service does and those lights can save them a lot of time.
Just another perspective.
Just a comment about "emergency vehicles"

Many states consider the vollie FF's with lights (blue, red, green, whatever) to be courtesy lights, not an emergency warning device... they don't have to pull over.

If they fail to pull over for an ambulance, the cops can, and do, write them tickets.

darkhorse72

Forum Ride Along
MedicStudentJon said:
Just a comment about "emergency vehicles"

Many states consider the vollie FF's with lights (blue, red, green, whatever) to be courtesy lights, not an emergency warning device... they don't have to pull over.

If they fail to pull over for an ambulance, the cops can, and do, write them tickets.
That is a good point. The state of Vermont statutes does require upon the approach of an ambulance, fire apparatus, a vehicle operated by a volunteer firefighter, EMS personnel, or a motor vehicle used in rescue operations, pull to the right of the lane of traffic and come to a complete stop until the vehicle has passed.
I wonder how many states do consider them as courtesy lights?

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
2 weeks ago, one of Kempton Park's yellow DENNIS fire apparatus was in an accident,

the truck was responding through a yield sign, and didn't see a drunk audi coming from the side. it hit the truck and it rolled 3 times.

The Paramedic Response Vehicle driving behind it was on the scene before the truck stopped rolling.

minor injuries...

doc5242

Forum Crew Member
where I live, only Medical officers or directors can have sirens for an ems agency, the "blue light" is a courtesy light, the cops will pull you over and take your light and your license if you break the law. up here people dont even pull over for the ambulance, let alone a blue light. My personal opinion is that in the wrong hands it is just another whacker toy that causes more trouble than does good, but that is just my personal feeling.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
darkhorse72 said:
I don't as yet have lights on my POV because I am a volunteer and the funds need to come from my pocket, but I will have them.

The lights which you will place in your vehicle will NEVER ameliorate a calls outcome PERIOD. Is it cool? Well, if you're into the firehouse bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:, then sure.

Never forget the bigger picture and the place in which all of your tools fall.

Save your money, further your training and get your EMT license instead.
Your patient outcome will improve. They sure as hell won't remain concious until ALS is on scene due to the dual strobe 2000 on your dash with 17 flash patterns including "EMS" in morse code.