Lifting Advice

EMT487

Forum Ride Along
I've recently starting working with an agency that runs 2-person crews. I quickly realized that my lifting ability was a weakness of mine and I'm looking for advice at how to get stronger and more proficient as quickly as possible. Also, what is reasonably expected in terms of physical lifting ability?

Some extra info: I'm 5 ft, 100 lbs. My ability appears to be 175-200 lb patient on the reeves with one partner, but add that patient to the 80 lb stretcher and I'm not able to lift the patient and stretcher with a partner.

I do lift weights, but building up the weight with dumbbells. One of my co-workers, who's influential with my boss, has noticed my lifting weaknesses and is concerned about it. My other partners don't seem bothered by it. In the past, I've always asked police on scene to help me lift.

I'm looking for advice at how to improve quickly, not for recommendations of how to quit.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
My apologies as I'm a little confused, there may be some geographical vernacular I'm not familar with, but what's the reeves?

Are you having trouble getting the patient from the ground to the gurney? Or is it lifting the gurney up to loading height? Or loading the gurney/patient into the rig?

OP
OP
E

EMT487

Forum Ride Along
The reeves are a bunch of wooden boards that run from the head to the foot and are wrapped in plastic. We roll patients onto them to move them up and down stairs or to go from ground to stretcher.

Ground to stretcher, my max patient weight seems to be between 180-200.
Stretcher to loading position seems to be 135lb patient, when you add the 80 lb stretcher, my max lift ability is 215.

I'm being told I should be able to lift (to loading position) a 200b pt on the 80lb stretcher with one partner.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
A 200lbs patient on a stretcher is the standard weight that needs to be lifted, as it will cover the average patient encountered. Try hitting a gym and working with a personal trainer if you can. Dumbbells alone aren't going to cut it. You need to be able to lift with your legs, so that would be a good area to start focusing on. I'm not too much taller than you so I know the difficulties in lifting patients. With practice and increased strength you can overcome most of them. Just remember don't lift with your back, try to keep it as straight as possible.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Definitely want to aim for 200 as far as patient weight goes, but 300 is very common for me too.

Like luke_31 said, you need more than just dumbbells. Throw in some dead lifts and squats. Some other core exercises would be good too.

JohnTheEMT

Forum Crew Member
Welcome to gainzville ! Time to pay the toll to get swole! In other words start hitting the gym. That means start lifting bars and doing squats and build that extra muscle that you need, no offense but i seen females lift more than you.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to gainzville ! Time to pay the toll to get swole! In other words start hitting the gym. That means start lifting bars and doing squats and build that extra muscle that you need, no offense but i seen females lift more than you.
You are assuming OP isn't female...

OP
OP
E

EMT487

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for the advice. I started with the dumbbells partly because I'm nervous about working the weight bar and partly because I cannot afford the gym membership at the moment.

I'm certainly not offended to hear that almost everyone can lift more than me, that's reality at the moment. And yes, I am a woman.

How long do you think it would take to increase my strength, I realize their's no exact answer, however an estimation would be awesome so I know if I'm progressing adequately.

beaucait

Forum Crew Member
Go each day, and find your baseline of what you can lift. Do some rows, some squats, some lunges (all with weights) and a few deadlifts. Back muscles and leg muscles are important! If you cannot afford a gym membership, go with a friend, or go buy a few weights to start out with. Sometime using your body weight can be just fine as well. Use gallons of water as weights. Trying is half the battle, no excuses!

OP
OP
E

EMT487

Forum Ride Along
I was able to do a lift test with the stretcher yesterday and found that I can lift a 180 lb patient. Part of the problem was that I was always going for the head end of the stretcher and I'm too short to get that weight to loading height. When I moved to the foot end, it could lift the weight and get it to load height. Still going to work on improving, but at least now I have a better baseline.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Check Craigslist, your local paper, go to garage sales, estate auctions, that sort of stuff and see if you can get some used weights if a gym is out right now. When lifting, when you can do three sets of 10 repetitions without cheating the bar up it's time to add a little more weight. Or you can start with a set of repetitions where you can do 10-12 easily, when you have done that add 5 lbs, for as many as you can do, when you are done with that set do it again with another 5 lbs added, for as many repetitions as you can. That should improve your lifts. Do Not push it! You will end up inviting injury. You'll get there.

ThePants

Forum Crew Member
Also, don't lift beyond your ability. If you have the resources, use Motorola to lift obese patients. I have a 'gross' number of obese shut-in patients in my response area, and will not hesitate to wait for another engine to help with lift assist. Be fit, but save your back for retirement. Scene safety is your first responsibility.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
My favorite lifting technique is making the firefighters lift for me

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Can't fault that. That's why I respond, off-duty, to lift assists off my pager at three in the morning. The more, the merrier.
Why would you respond to a lift assist at 3am off duty?

OP
OP
E

EMT487

Forum Ride Along
I'm very fortunate that my volunteer squad does not hesitate to call the fire department for lift assists. I love my fire department for all the help that they give us in that area. The paid squads I work for won't call out for lift assists unless the patient is insanely heavy.

ThePants

Forum Crew Member
Do what you can, but don't end up hurting yourself in the process. Honestly I found it worth while to add some muscle, as I was worried about losing work due to injury.
+1 I'm currently out of work on a back injury, sustained from lifting. Workman's comp is a nightmare, but at least the pay sucks. Don't do it to yourself.

After this is over, I'm spending extra time on physical training. Maybe I'll also follow my own advice.

OP
OP
E

EMT487

Forum Ride Along
I'm sorry to hear that. I was injured on calls before and Workman's Comp is terrible! I wish you all the best with that.