Lifting Advice

dumbenoughtostay

Forum Ride Along
I commend you for recognizing that you need to improve. EMS is a physically demanding job. Keep in mind that if you are unable to lift correctly, you may injure your patient, your partner, and yourself.

I have some tips. Your current age is going to play a role in your ability to build muscle. If you a bit older, it will take longer, but it is still achievable. Think of it as a long term process. Also, at 5 ft and 100 lbs, it seems you have a slight build. Recognize that by building muscle, you will probably put on some weight. Don't worry about that when it happens. Also, make sure you are taking in enough calories. You will need fuel, and drink plenty of H2O.

As for the weight lifting. Don't forget to work your core muscle. So much of our job is easier if you have a strong core. Strong legs, a strong butt and a weak core can lead to problems. Be creative. You do not need a gym to do strength training. After all, it is just lifting heavy stuff against gravity. So- go find some heavy things around your station and figure out a safe way to lift them.

Don't forget to rest. Muscle building is basically a response to muscle injury or tearing. It takes time for this remodeling to occur.

Lastly, don't overdo it. You don't want to be so sore that you hate working out, but on the other hand you want to be a little sore afterward.

Good health to you!!

kirstywatt

Forum Ride Along
@EMT487

Thank you so much for your post. I am currently about to enter the EMT program in Hawaii and have the exact same build. Whenever I mention wanting to become an EMT to people the response is usually something along the lines of "You realize you have to lift people, right?" Its pretty discouraging, but I have my heart set on it and I plan to succeed in my goals. Reading all of these responses has been helpful and gave me that extra boast of confidence I need.