lets talk about gloves....

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I know what you mean... latex gloves where the best!

If you can wear them without breaking out in hives or sending your patient into anaphylaxis.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Kimberly-Clark purple nitrile gloves. I can feel a pulse through them easily and I haven't had them rip on me yet.

makphisto

Forum Crew Member
What about for sweaty hands? My hands are normally cold and clammy, and it just gets worse when I hear those tones and get excited. I find by the time I put gloves on, my hands are really sweaty and it's difficult to put them on. Plus, it doesn't help that my hands are big and the extra large gloves are pretty snug to begin with (ladies ;)).

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Glove cots. They are a stockinette sleeve that you can put on under the gloves. Absorbs the sweat.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Kimberly-Clark purple nitrile gloves. I can feel a pulse through them easily and I haven't had them rip on me yet.

I agree. My service switched to some other brand once and they ripped every time we needed them, I swear.

For what it is worth, my roommate is allergic to latex.

SmokeyBear

Forum Crew Member
I'm having a problem finding gloves (disposable) We use nitrile only in our service. The smalls don't fit. The mediums are huge, like fall off, cant feel thru them huge. I need like a small-fat, or a medium-short. The small latex were perfect, there just isnt enough give in the small nitrile for my chubby little man-like fingers.

I think we use McKesson right now, but I will be pleading to use a diffferent brand if only I can find one to recommend!

Once in the ER I generally grab about 2-3 handfull's of large gloves (the nice sturdy DARK blue ones, not the light blue ones) and stuff them in various locations in my uniform. When I get short, I do the same again later. Solves the "glove shortage/size/preference" problem here. They usually have several kinds of a variety of sizes. :) We have gloves in our service but they run short on "large" and they aren't the nicer dark blue ones (just a preference).

Do you get reimbursed or is that a personal purchase?

Can't you declare it off your taxes since you use them at work??

Last edited by a moderator:

mace85

Forum Probie
My hospital uses the Ameri-net latex gloves. We routinely pull 3 gloves out of the box at a time. It is guaranteed at least one WILL break when putting them on. We finally switched to a different brand. Our Nitriles are the thin gray ones. I can't remember the brand. But they are quite nice.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
^ ah yeah I know those thin gray gloves you're talking about - don't know the brand either lol but definitely my favorite nitrile gloves so far.