legalities-unlicensed EMT's

dancelife8712

Forum Probie
I'm wondering what the legalities are concerning unlicensed EMT's that are operating in the Bay Area of California. I know several EMT's that work for an IFT provider that haven't even applied for their county EMS cards yet but have passed their fto training and are being scheduled on BLS and CCT units as EMT's. This doesn't seem legit- I'm wondering who to report it to. Supervisors and HR departments are well aware of the situation.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
That just sounds straight up illegal. Maybe you should contact the LEMSA?

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
yea...that sounds bad. The only way I could see this being allowed is if their protocols/SOP allowed for ambulance drivers who were unlicensed.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Also worth noting that the collections from any calls these individuals are involved in are considered void, and if billed to Medicare, the agency is subject to penalties, the least of which are being required to return the payments already recieved. CMS requires all providers to be appropriately credentialed (by state/county/regional authorities).

It seems you have a bone to pick, and have some inside information, perhaps the best place to share this information is not a semi-anonymous internet forum, but an official agency? Why are you share it here?

OP
OP
D

dancelife8712

Forum Probie
Also worth noting that the collections from any calls these individuals are involved in are considered void, and if billed to Medicare, the agency is subject to penalties, the least of which are being required to return the payments already recieved. CMS requires all providers to be appropriately credentialed (by state/county/regional authorities).

It seems you have a bone to pick, and have some inside information, perhaps the best place to share this information is not a semi-anonymous internet forum, but an official agency? Why are you share it here?

I do have a bone to pick. I am an employee of unnamed company and am tired of being abused and undertrained and seeing patients "treated" by people they think are professionals. I just became aware of this particular issue today and called the state EMS authority as well as the county ems agency, and of course both offices are closed on weekends. I just feel like I've lost perspective on whats legal and what's not, because my company does stuff like this all the time, tells employees it's ok, and if anyone questions it we get threatened with our jobs. Thank you all for your input!!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I do have a bone to pick. I am an employee of unnamed company and am tired of being abused and undertrained and seeing patients "treated" by people they think are professionals. I just became aware of this particular issue today and called the state EMS authority as well as the county ems agency, and of course both offices are closed on weekends. I just feel like I've lost perspective on whats legal and what's not, because my company does stuff like this all the time, tells employees it's ok, and if anyone questions it we get threatened with our jobs. Thank you all for your input!!
If you chose, you may report this directly to CMS/the office of the Inspector General, online, and anonymously.

https://www.medicare.gov/forms-help...d-and-abuse/report-fraud/reporting-fraud.html

Knightinwhitesatin

Forum Probie
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are referring too but keep in mind that in California an EMT can have a cert in any county in California and yet be working in another county. Only a paramedic must be accredited in the county that they work in. The reason for this is all EMT in California can operate at the same level with the exception of some counties who have advanced EMTs. An EMT unless this has changed does not have a license in California they are certified and only a paramedic holds a license. I know plent of EMTs who are certed in one county maybe one close to where they live but work 911 in another. It is perfectly legal in California.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Not if the county requires its own accreditation. For example I got my cert through L.A. County, I cannot legally work on an ambulance next door in Orange County without the OC Accreditation which is a separate class you have to take (it's built into the initial class in EMT schools in the county but it's available as a separate class for when I went and got my OC cert) and the reverse is also true for L.A. since we require our own accreditation course to legally work in the county.

Knightinwhitesatin

Forum Probie
I worked years ago in LA as an EMT for a private company. I wasn't required to apply as an EMT in LA I was however required to get my LA county ambulance drivers cert. to drive in the city even though I already have a dmv ambulance driver cert. Maybe things have changed there?