Left Behind Gurney

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Is it really that difficult your the gurney in the truck that y'all need little tricks to remind you it's there?

We do it the same way MonkeyArrow does. We get pulled constantly so it's the first thing everyone does before doing anything else.
This. Once the patient is off the gurney the EMT cleans and dresses the gurney and then puts in back in the ambulance before anything else.

BS with other crews after you are all set to go available or as you are cleaning your things.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I've never left the gurney behind. I have found it turned upside down, standing all the way up, and once belted to the ceiling.

We did arrive on scene one night for a CCT and found we had everything, but a battery for the monitor. First and only time we made that mistake.

The dumbest mistakes always happen when you're brand new. One summer night, on a very long 24, we decided it was too hot to turn off the rig. Since we had two keys, we left the rig running, on high idle, and locked the doors. Leaving the rig out front of the hospital nice and cool. Our plan worked perfectly until we returned 45 minutes later and found that I had left the passenger door wide open. Thank the good lord that a 5150 didn't come around and take off with the rig.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I was left at station once; I was asleep in the back, when shift change happened outgoing EMT gave report to incoming EMT, I got out to use the restroom. Got posting page, walked out to truck in time to watch my truck drive away. Went into dispatch and asked them to page my partner that she forgot something. The dispatcher asked what she forgot.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
We were in downtown Indy eating dinner one night and had a police officer come in and ask if we belonged to the ambulance around the corner with the emergency lights on. It was us; truck was locked up tight (like we left it) and off. We got in, turned off the lights went to pull out and my partner driving started swearing: everything in the cabinets was piled neatly on the cot, which was hanging from the overhead hand rails by kerlix (not our Kerlix)

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never left the gurney behind. I have found it turned upside down, standing all the way up, and once belted to the ceiling.

We did arrive on scene one night for a CCT and found we had everything, but a battery for the monitor. First and only time we made that mistake.

The dumbest mistakes always happen when you're brand new. One summer night, on a very long 24, we decided it was too hot to turn off the rig. Since we had two keys, we left the rig running, on high idle, and locked the doors. Leaving the rig out front of the hospital nice and cool. Our plan worked perfectly until we returned 45 minutes later and found that I had left the passenger door wide open. Thank the good lord that a 5150 didn't come around and take off with the rig.

We had a multi unit response to an MVA one night, the first BLS crew parked so the traffic could not interfere with the rescue. Well one of those EMTs ended up driving the medic rig, the other EMT was in the back of the medic rig helping out...with both sets of keys for the BLS rig. Lets just say the town was not happy that an ambulance with lights on was blocking traffic on a semi busy road for the next hour.

Tunamate

Forum Crew Member
That's a new one.
Can't say I've done that. But I've left the O2 behind plenty. Crew drove off with back door open once to until someone hooted.
Mates have left the jump bag behind. That's always fun when you have to treat a pt and find there's nothing there.....

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
I've left the cables, taken the monitor, and been somewhat dumbfounded when I went to do my next 12 lead...
Or taking my narc restock at the hospital, leaving the narcotics log book, and having no way to sign over narcs at crew exchange...

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I have had this happen at my volunteer squad. One morning we took an EMS All Call and just jumped right into the ambulance. Unfortunately, nobody passed on the message that the power cot was out of service. The crew who used the truck last, never replaced it with a manual. Thankfully, we noticed by the time we hit the next intersection and turned around.

I have also on many occasions had our ALS unit (NJ uses ALS chase cars) leave behind misc items, usually the monitor.