Learning Road Training Aids

Fire219man

Forum Crew Member
So when your new to running on an EMS squad, are there any tactics that work better than others when it comes to learing all the roads that you run on? I have lived in the area I am at for some time, but some of the streets we get called on I draw a blank....Just kinda trying to figure out some good ways to learn streets other than burning gas in my vehicle....

Guess I could go to the station and do some drive time and run around the streets as well.

Recycled Words

Forum Crew Member
GPS Systems! I only drive on a permit, but I use my GPS whenever I have the slightest doubt. Better waste the 30 seconds it takes to program it then circle the area for 5 minutes

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Ack! No! Don't start with a GPS!

* Get a big map of the county from somewhere.
* Practise with some friends. Plot out the route from a Taco Bell to the ER or something.
* Look at Google Maps with the satellite photo overlay a lot.

Mapping is an important skill to have.. and sometimes the GPS units will lead you on a roundabout way. Or, you may be stuck in traffic and frontage roads are quicker.

Recycled Words

Forum Crew Member
I've always found that having a GPS works better than maps (though I do have a county map in my car) because it DOES usually give the most direct route and if I'm driving somewhere at night and don't know the AREA, things aren't lit up well enough for me to know where I'm going. At the very least the GPS tells me what street I'm on and what streets are near me which means that if a street IS closed off or there IS traffic, instead of scouring the map for where I am, I know what major streets I'm next to and can find things quicker. Most GPSs have maps on the display so you can work off that if you need to....

I'm not saying that it should REPLACE a general knowledge of the area, but you can't be expected to know EVERY street.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Part of it is learning the service area that you work in, there is nothing wrong with driving around learning where thing are. Also learn how to get somewhere with differant routes. I also look at landmarks this also helps with driving, esp. at night. I like Thomas Map Guides myself!:)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
When I first got a job at my service I spent days driving around and around with maps and a map book.

I also used a Garmin iQue 3600 GPS. I wouldn't dare work in EMS without it, even if I knew the streets well. It was simple to use, gave great directions, and I honestly can't tell you the feeling you get when you know where you're going.

The call would go out. My partner would look it up in the map book, I would look it up in GPS. I'd always find it first, route to it, and we'd confirm once my partner found it in the map book. It was rare that we didn't follow the route it provided, but there were times when one street was faster than another.

Don't have the hundreds to spend? Get a map book and start driving :)

chico.medic

Forum Crew Member
I look at my map book before I turn a wheel. Learning the area I work in just took time. Generally I know where I'm going by now, but If theres a question about a cross st. I'll bust out a map book. My company would'nt foot the bill for a GPS, so we have to hone the skills for the things we have.:glare:

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Thats a good idea to do,when I was on the service either myself and the newbie or myself,my partner,and the newbie would take the ambulance out and show the newbie where the streets in our coverage area were at so that way they couldnt get lost when they are driving to the call.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
I look at my map book before I turn a wheel. Learning the area I work in just took time. Generally I know where I'm going by now, but If theres a question about a cross st. I'll bust out a map book. My company would'nt foot the bill for a GPS, so we have to hone the skills for the things we have.:glare:

I did that while I was waiting for my partner to arrive at the station for a call. I would grab the mapbook and take a peak if it was a road I had no knowledge of where it was at.

Medic's Wife

Forum Crew Member
I don't know if you have a PDA or not, but if you do you can download a map pack (google it and see what you find). I think it's either 25 or 30 dollars to download an unlimited number of maps for an entire year, and the maps are detailed and up to date. I know it's available for both Palm and Windows operating systems, but there might be more.....

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Most county websites also have a road list that can be downloaded and printed or carried on a PDA. They show cross streets which is helpful. Also, just plain memorization. We do drills at the station from time to time where we name random streets from the list and see who can name the cross streets or more efficient route to get there.

The problem I have with the GPS is that a road is a road is a road on it and around here a 'road' may or may not be one I want to take my POV on.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Most county websites also have a road list that can be downloaded and printed or carried on a PDA. They show cross streets which is helpful. Also, just plain memorization. We do drills at the station from time to time where we name random streets from the list and see who can name the cross streets or more efficient route to get there.

The problem I have with the GPS is that a road is a road is a road on it and around here a 'road' may or may not be one I want to take my POV on.

ALot of departments these days have gone to the use of MDTs (mobile dispatch terminals),which also have street maps loaded into them so you can decide on the quickest route to the scene.