LA County to Riverside for Volunteer

Billyd

Forum Ride Along
Hey Guys!
New member, passed NREMT in December and been an EMT at PRN ambulance in Los Angeles for about 3 month now.
I read that Riverside County is in need of volunteers due to the CoronaVirus and was wondering if anyone knows what exactly an EMT basic would be doing? I only ask this because I heard from a friend LA county wanted vomunteers but only to swab at testing centers.
Also, if I’m licensed in LA county, would I have to do anything to volunteer in Riverside? The initial person I called today had no idea

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have not heard of anything that is needed if riverside county. Compared to other areas so far this county have not been hit very hard. I will emit that I have not been keeping up with the majority of information. The best way to find out about volunteer opportunities is to sign up to be a Disaster Health Volunteer Through the California Health Corp.

My last email from them said that as of right now there were no needs for EMTs/Paramedics but that could always change.

Riverside accept your state license that you acquired through LA county. There are none of the silly things that you have to do to get licensed as opposed to LA and OC. Even for the medic level of license where we must get a license from each county we wish to work in, things have changed during this pandemic so if the need arises our state license will be accepted without the need for individual county licenses.

Here is a site you can sign up for Riverside County: https://rc-hr.com/volunteer-workforce

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Billyd

Forum Ride Along
I have not heard of anything that is needed if riverside county. Compared to other areas so far this county have not been hit very hard. I will emit that I have not been keeping up with the majority of information. The best way to find out about volunteer opportunities is to sign up to be a Disaster Health Volunteer Through the California Health Corp.

My last email from them said that as of right now there were no needs for EMTs/Paramedics but that could always change.

Riverside accept your state license that you acquired through LA county. There are none of the silly things that you have to do to get licensed as opposed to LA and OC. Even for the medic level of license where we must get a license from each county we wish to work in, things have changed during this pandemic so if the need arises our state license will be accepted without the need for individual county licenses.

Here is a site you can sign up for Riverside County: https://rc-hr.com/volunteer-workforce
Thanks, I signed up. I heard on the news and just saw an article where Riverside County was looking for current and retired healthcare workers to volunteer. EMT-B and EMT-P was on the list. They are building a "field hospital" in the next couple weeks and are required to provide 30-40 staff 24/7, so I think they are gearing up for that. I'm eager to volunteer as our ambulance shifts have been slowing down and I have another full time job that is paying me 100% to work 2hrs a day.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The most recent press release that was sent out by the county on the 11th was asking for volunteers to help assist at Skilled Nursing Facilities with confirmed COVID patients.

One of the field hospitals has already been up and running for around a week so far and has already received something like 40 patients from a SNF that was evacuated. The other field hospital is said to have a 125 bed capacity but there hasn’t been any press releases or any additional information provided so far.

OP
OP
B

Billyd

Forum Ride Along
The most recent press release that was sent out by the county on the 11th was asking for volunteers to help assist at Skilled Nursing Facilities with confirmed COVID patients.

One of the field hospitals has already been up and running for around a week so far and has already received something like 40 patients from a SNF that was evacuated. The other field hospital is said to have a 125 bed capacity but there hasn’t been any press releases or any additional information provided so far.
If they need me and they will take me with limited experience, I will go. As long as there is PPE, which they did "promise"

OP
OP
B

Billyd

Forum Ride Along

Just wanted to update you. I called the number because I haven't heard anything and a nice lady told me she is getting me background checked today and desperatley needs CNA's for 10PM-6AM shifts at CNA's. I told her I have an EMT license for LA County and she insisted it was good and I could work as a CNA. Happy to help but I've never heard that as they are different job titles.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
In a normal situation you would not be qualified to work as a CNA because you do not have that certification however during the times right now certain things have changed. The are allowing citizens to apply to help out. What you will be doing as a CNA is likely to not include much medical. I imagine it will be moving/lifting/standing patients, cleaning/bathing them, assisting with getting them dressed, cleaning and making beds, helping them eat, and other odds and ends.

The CAL-MAT team has been doing several deployments up to northern CA for much of the same thing however they have been requesting paramedics and nurses only so it may involve more medical responsibilities like medication admin.

OP
OP
B

Billyd

Forum Ride Along
In a normal situation you would not be qualified to work as a CNA because you do not have that certification however during the times right now certain things have changed. The are allowing citizens to apply to help out. What you will be doing as a CNA is likely to not include much medical. I imagine it will be moving/lifting/standing patients, cleaning/bathing them, assisting with getting them dressed, cleaning and making beds, helping them eat, and other odds and ends.

The CAL-MAT team has been doing several deployments up to northern CA for much of the same thing however they have been requesting paramedics and nurses only so it may involve more medical responsibilities like medication admin.
Thanks for replying. Happy to help anyway I can, I have a couple years of doing this stuff while taking care of my dad, so I don't mind it. Stay safe!