LA County EMT certification wait time

sean818

Forum Probie
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting, nice to meet everyone in advance. I recently took an emt-b class at my local community college and passed the national registry. I sent my application packet to the la county ems agency on monday(its friday now) and I'm curious as to how long it has taken others to get their certification mailed to them. The la county website says it can take up to 30 days to mail it which seems ridiculously long. I called the doj automated number today regarding my live scan and both the doj and fbi reports were sent electronically to the ems service on monday which is the same day I got the live scan done. I know I'm jumping the gun but like everyone else I'm anxious to be completely certified so I can start applying for jobs. Any information is appreciated as I've been having trouble finding even a guesstimate online from someone who's been certified in la. Thanks again

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Patience is a virtue. 30 days is not a "ridiculous" time frame seeing there was probably 1000 other applications sent the same day you did yours. Anyways, welcome to the wacky world of EMS!

Last edited by a moderator:

cmyk

Forum Probie
Mine took a few weeks.

You can check the central registry website every now and then to see if your name's up. If it's listed it's been processed, and you'll probably get it within a couple of days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
This is why I love living in Nevada. They generally turn around our stuff same day or next.

bradpop14

Forum Ride Along
It depends. If you have any criminal history it takes longer to investigate and decide.
Joan Lockwood is the background investigator and to my knowledge the only one working as an investigator right now. So it will take awhile.

My cert took a month for the entire process.

It also depends on the applicant load they have at that time. Again, each applicant needs to be investigated. And that takes time.

Be patient because the minute you get that a whole new, wacky world will open up. As BASICallyEMT said :D

OP
OP
S

sean818

Forum Probie
Patience is a virtue. 30 days is not a "ridiculous" time frame seeing there was probably 1000 other applications sent the same day you did yours. Anyways, welcome to the wacky world of EMS!

Doing my best! lol. The first two weeks actually flew by, still counting the hours until I'm certified though. I got my ambulance drivers cert from the DMV which was the biggest pain in the *** imaginable. I had to break out the CA vehicle code multiple times and point out to them how redundant it was about me not needing to show any sort of EMT certification to take the test. After 2 trips to the DMV, each of which being 3-4 hours they finally accepted my NREMT card and I passed the written test on the first try. So now there's not much else left to do except wait for my cert to get processed and apply where I can. Thanks for the welcome, so far I'm not too impressed with the world of EMS but I know bureaucracy is the culprit and there's nothing I can do about that. <_<

Mine took a few weeks.

You can check the central registry website every now and then to see if your name's up. If it's listed it's been processed, and you'll probably get it within a couple of days.

Thanks, been checking it everyday. I sent my packet 2 weeks ago today and still nothing but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

This is why I love living in Nevada. They generally turn around our stuff same day or next.

I envy you.

It depends. If you have any criminal history it takes longer to investigate and decide.
Joan Lockwood is the background investigator and to my knowledge the only one working as an investigator right now. So it will take awhile.

My cert took a month for the entire process.

It also depends on the applicant load they have at that time. Again, each applicant needs to be investigated. And that takes time.

Be patient because the minute you get that a whole new, wacky world will open up. As BASICallyEMT said :D

I do have one arrest on my record which never lead to anything, I wasn't even seen in court, however I can imagine that might complicate things slightly. I did write them a nice narrative that explains everything and sent all the evidence documenting my arrest and booking. Just a waiting game at this point.

Around a month. Anything less should be considered a win.

Let's hope I'm one of the lucky ones! :rolleyes:

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member

When I upgraded from B->I, I got all the paperwork I needed to submit on a day off, and decided that it was a good day for a road trip, so I drove down to submit it rather than mailing in it.

The lady looked at it and frowned briefly, then told me, "You know, you're really supposed to mail this in.". She then walked into the back office for 3 minutes and walked back with my card in her hand.

OP
OP
S

sean818

Forum Probie
Just checked the registry and my name is up! Took two weeks and one day from the day I mailed it and exactly two weeks from when my live scan cleared. I also woke up to an email from impulse ambulance wanting to schedule an interview so everything came together nicely. The last thing I have to wait for is my ambulance drivers certificate to come in the mail, but in my experience the DMV is pretty quick about mailing most things.