LA BLS companies? sorry.. I'm new...

trojan

Forum Ride Along
Hi everybody,
First, I'm sorry this is probably in the wrong place. Second, I'm sorry this post might already exist... but the best I could find was the same question for Orange County.
I'm a pre-med full-time student at USC. This summer I got my EMT-B cert and passed the NREMT, and after I take Expanded Scope this month I will get licensed in LA County.
From reading these forums, I have learned that 1) EMS in LA "sucks," especially right now and 2) I will basically be bringing patients to dialysis appointments. That's fine with me--it's at least more educational than clerical volunteer work in a hospital. My question is, does anyone know which companies are most flexible? Is it unheard for an EMT to work one 12 hour shift a week? Would you be laughed out of a job interview if you said you can only work weekends? If not, are there any companies in LA that are particularly willing to work with students?
Thank you if you read all that... I appreciate the help! :)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Hi everybody,
I will basically be bringing patients to dialysis appointments. That's fine with me--it's at least more educational than clerical volunteer work in a hospital.

Dialysis patients will probably be the sickest patients you transport and personally I believe they should not be transported by just EMT-Bs. Yes, if you use the time wisely that you spend with these patients, it will be very educational. However, if you already have the "BS" attitude towards these patients, stick with the clerical work. These patients deserve a health care provider that cares about them and not the "BLS" label that only applies in EMS and not in medicine.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Now, if you are serious about being an EMT in Southern CA, one of our resident experts on that area will be along shortly.

OP
OP
T

trojan

Forum Ride Along
Wow, sorry. I didn't mean to sound cavalier. I fully realize how important good patient care is. I meant that the nature of BLS would not discourage me from it in any way, because I've read posts where people ask how to get a job in LA that is more "exciting." I just wanted to clarify that I think BLS is important and rewarding. However, if you think that EMT-B's are unfit to handle patients then I am sorry for wasting everyone's time with my question. Sorry for the inconvenience!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, fitness of EMT-Bs and patient care is for a different topic. That said, dialysis patients can be extremely sick because the kidneys basically control the contents of the blood, which affects every other organ in the body.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
However, if you think that EMT-B's are unfit to handle patients then I am sorry for wasting everyone's time with my question. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Don't get your panties in a knot.

The fact that some do not know how sick dialysis patients are make them very dangerous to be given the responsibilty of these patients.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, sorry. I didn't mean to sound cavalier. I fully realize how important good patient care is. I meant that the nature of BLS would not discourage me from it in any way, because I've read posts where people ask how to get a job in LA that is more "exciting." I just wanted to clarify that I think BLS is important and rewarding. However, if you think that EMT-B's are unfit to handle patients then I am sorry for wasting everyone's time with my question. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Four companies that preform primary BLS emergency response in Los Angeles County are AMR, McCormick, Cole Schaefer, and Care Ambulance. If you google any of these you will find their websites with information on how to apply. Now, the bad news. McCormick will not be hiring for probably at least 4-6 months. AMR is not hiring as well. The other two, I am not sure. Add to this, the prospect of you getting any of these companies to work with your school schedule is close to zero. Also, these companies get around 200 applications a month. If you want to be a doctor, the most important thing to do is to stick to undergrad and do not get distracted.

You may be able to find a job with the close to 100 southern California non emergency ambulance providers. These include Bowers, PRN, AmbuServe, AmeriCare, etc. Google and apply. They are much more likely to work with your school schedule than a 911 company. It is not glamorous work and the pay sucks, but you will get the chance to use these patients to expand your clinical skill and knowledge by reading up on the meds they take and the disease processes they have, by taking their vital signs and listening to their lungs, etc. You will be far ahead of the game if you know how to approach, talk to, and examine a patient with out embarrassment when you become a medical student.

All in all, I regret becoming involved with the EMS system in Los Angeles and wished I spent the time I was working, just doing normal college kid stuff and taking more classes. I could have probably been in med school this fall if I buckled down and did not get distracted by EMS. Just remember that.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Have you given any thought to going the ER Tech route while your in school? You sound like a great candidate and you would fit right in. Some of the best techs I have worked with were pre med,I think their desire to learn and work hard really benefits the ER. Most techs are on their way to bigger and better things,hospitals are aware of this and are more than accommodating with students schedules. With the high turnover rate you should be able to find a job rather quickly. Pay will be higher than all EMT-B's and even some medics. I know pay is not the big issue but when your in a med students position what little time you have for work should be well rewarded. You will preform procedures and "skills" you would never do in the field and be exposed to a larger variety of patients on a daily basis than you would ever be exposed to working as a basic.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Thank god they redesigned their website so that they aren't looking like posers anymore.

I loved this part of their old FAQ.
Q: I heard you are defibrillator trained. How can I get that?

A: The defibrillator adjunct is a separate certification that must be renewed every 6 months and "attaches" to your basic EMT-1 certification. This training is only valid when done under the direction of an EMS program’s medical director. Because of this you can not take a course to become certified in the use of a defibrillator, it must be offered through the agency you work for. We will provide this training if you are hired. The American Red Cross offers a course in the use of AEDs (automatic external defibrillators). This is not the same. Our EMTs operate a bi-phasic Zoll® M-Series SAED (semi-automatic external defibrillator) which requires much more training and expertise in using than a typical AED. Some of our EMTs have also completed a course in EKG rhythm interpretation- also not a typical EMT skill. Incidentally, we apply our defibrillator to patients several times a year.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060515...cla.edu/FAQ.htm#I heard you are defibrillator

Oh, ah, you guys used a SAED instead of an AED. Yea, that extra button (pushing the "shock" button) makes it twice as complicated as what is strictly a pure AED. Besides, anteaters beat bears.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant
Have you given any thought to going the ER Tech route while your in school? You sound like a great candidate and you would fit right in. Some of the best techs I have worked with were pre med,I think their desire to learn and work hard really benefits the ER. Most techs are on their way to bigger and better things,hospitals are aware of this and are more than accommodating with students schedules. With the high turnover rate you should be able to find a job rather quickly. Pay will be higher than all EMT-B's and even some medics. I know pay is not the big issue but when your in a med students position what little time you have for work should be well rewarded. You will preform procedures and "skills" you would never do in the field and be exposed to a larger variety of patients on a daily basis than you would ever be exposed to working as a basic.

An ER tech would be a better choice for you. I worked with a pre-med student for a 911 company in LACO. The system wouldn't benefit you because of the limited amout of Pt care on top of all the hoops you'd have to jump through working for a private company. As an ER tech, you'd have more exposure in a closer related field. More importantly, you are more likely to work per-diem; which allows you to flex your schedule. But, the best part is, you'd make more money.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
Thank god they redesigned their website so that they aren't looking like posers anymore.

I loved this part of their old FAQ.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060515...cla.edu/FAQ.htm#I heard you are defibrillator

Oh, ah, you guys used a SAED instead of an AED. Yea, that extra button (pushing the "shock" button) makes it twice as complicated as what is strictly a pure AED. Besides, anteaters beat bears.

haha ok well in their defense, the first part is a more or less accurate description of the stupidity required by LA County's policy about BLS providers using defibs (must be under the direction of their medical director, receive annual/semi-annual training and testing, etc.). And the "extra training" bit refers to the fact that they also use their defib for SpO2, NIBP, EtCO2, EKG, etc. (really utilizing all of the functions available - can't argue that requires more knowledge and training than a standard AED)

I agree with cm4short - for a pre-med student, an ER tech job is likely the better experience in many ways because you're in a hospital setting and are working directly with physicians. On the downside, you aren't performing the assessments/treatments/etc that you would in the field.

Oh, and while I'll give you that anteaters beat bears.... no way in hell do they beat BRUINS :D

VentMedic

Forum Chief
On the downside, you aren't performing the assessments/treatments/etc that you would in the field.

Or you might be doing a lot more and with much more consistency. Many ED Techs will see more patients in one 12 hour shift than some EMTs will see on an ambulance in a week or even a month. As well, one will be able to do procedures that the EMT-B can not in the field. They will also be going into areas such as ICUs where few EMT-Bs have ever gone.

Your assessment skills and knowledge will also be advanced in the ED beyond the "BLS" level which is a term that only restricts those who use it in EMS.

It doesn't take much skill to put someone on O2 or do an SpO2 check. It does however take a little more effort to know why. In the hospital, the ED Tech will not only be given a chance to learn from many different healthcare professionals, they will also see and participate in the treatment beyond the first 10 minutes.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
haha ok well in their defense, the first part is a more or less accurate description of the stupidity required by LA County's policy about BLS providers using defibs (must be under the direction of their medical director, receive annual/semi-annual training and testing, etc.). And the "extra training" bit refers to the fact that they also use their defib for SpO2, NIBP, EtCO2, EKG, etc. (really utilizing all of the functions available - can't argue that requires more knowledge and training than a standard AED)

I agree with cm4short - for a pre-med student, an ER tech job is likely the better experience in many ways because you're in a hospital setting and are working directly with physicians. On the downside, you aren't performing the assessments/treatments/etc that you would in the field.

Oh, and while I'll give you that anteaters beat bears.... no way in hell do they beat BRUINS :D

You are partially right on the assessments, you will not be the primary provider using your assessment to decide a path of treatment for your patient like you would in the field but you will use your assessment skills every time you help with a new patient. It might be as simple as knowing who goes on monitor or 02 who needs a stat EKG ,lab draws or a breathing treatment but assessment skills are frequently used in the ED. observing the trauma team preforming assessments is a great learning opportunity. You can also "exercise" your assessment skills and compare observations with your RN or ED doc,this is something that I think is a real bonus that comes with the tech position.

As far as treatments I'm not sure what you can do as a basic with your agency (the OP is a basic) but I can tell you that you will do much more in the ED than you ever would do in the field. Some procedures you will preform or assist with are at or above what alot of medics do in the field. And if you gain the trust of your charge RN you would not believe what you might find yourself doing. Hows your CPR,when you work as a tech you will be doing compressions on all codes including peds. I know alot of field providers who have never preformed compressions on anything but an Andy or Annie. Could you give me an example of what you might do in the field that you would not do as a tech in the ED. I'm not ripping on your post I just want to be sure that we are sharing accurate information with people seeking advice.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
You are partially right on the assessments, you will not be the primary provider using your assessment to decide a path of treatment for your patient like you would in the field

This is really what I meant more than anything.

I'm not ripping on your post I just want to be sure that we are sharing accurate information with people seeking advice.

Thats a fair point, and I think the areas where you disagree with me are due to the fact that the experiences of an ER Tech vary WILDLY from region to region and even from hospital to hospital. So while it may be true in your area that "you will do much more in the ED than you ever would do in the field", but this is certainly not the case everywhere, and I would argue that it is definitely not the case in Los Angeles (at least from what I've seen). Most hospitals don't use paramedics as ER techs, and the Basics they do use just do a lot of grunt work. From my friends who are ER techs in LA - they handle compressions for codes, run EKGs when directed, shuttle patients to radiography/other areas of the hospital, act as runners for labs, help the docs with splinting/casting, etc.

I agree that the opportunity to observe MD/DO/RNs in action in the ED can be a great experience, and if you're at an academic center (like UCLA), they tend to be very willing to explain things. But around here, you certainly won't be doing ALS procedures or anything particularly special. They do get paid quite a bit more than EMTs working on ambulances, but they deserve it - they're on their feet and running around for their entire 12 hour shift.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly

I highly doubt that their EMTs are actively interpreting and documenting ECGs and EtCO2 readings, even the ones that have taken an ECG course. For that to be truly allowed, than any basic with training in ECG interpretation should be able to interpret and document such. In fact, I know for a fact that the only time that a basic can manually defib is under direct supervision of a paramedic, physician, or nurse in a county that allows it. Of course if one of those are present, why have the basic defib to begin with? SpO2 and NIBP aren't hard in terms of manual skill, but I'm not sure if they give actual training for interpreting SpO2. As far as the training for AEDs, it isn't LACo police. The requirement and training for a service to be an "AED provider" to carry AEDs is a state EMSA mandate.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I highly doubt that their EMTs are actively interpreting and documenting ECGs and EtCO2 readings, even the ones that have taken an ECG course.

I've also had the misfortune of hearing from EMTs in California that they are trained in ventilators. When I asked for details, they told me they knew how to put the circuit (single limb) on a ventilator and turn it on. Their MICN/CCT RN may even allow them to put in the settings by turning the knobs when told. But then the California Paramedics brag when their scope includes the "ATV" and they are now proficient in "ventilators".

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
The UCLA guys do not have EKG of spO2. They have a zoll m series but it a annoptional configuration with aed function only. Emts cannot use EKG or man defib unless as jp said under the direct supervision of a paramedic or doctor. Even than, only if the county allows it, most do not.