Kvo

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I was curious if there was actually a real defined KVO rate. In researching online I kinda gathered that there is not or it is locally defined by the agency you work for. Is it true that physician orders of "KVO" are not valid unless an actual flow rate is specified?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Our standardized procedures call for

120 lpm...

OP
OP
ResTech

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Im not sure what your thinking off but that's certainly not an IV flow rate. 120 liters per minute (lpm) is a lot of fluid!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
According to AHA ACLS it is 5-30 ml/hr. Enough to prevent IV from occluding.

R/r 911

mycrofft

Hey, been along day and I'm dehydrated!

Sorry, that's my PO consumption right now. Only a five minute bolus at that rate though.:blush:

It actually reads "120 cc". Never said it was right. The whole book needs to be thrown up in front of a fan, or into one. No mention of ASA for possible MI and still used injectable Compazine when we have Tigan which is safer.

OP
OP
ResTech

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks.... I know that seems like a pretty elementary question but I was reading some nursing forums and they were strongly debating the KVO and physician orders thing. So just curious as to an actual standard for KVO and the source.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Each institution should have in writing in intravenous therapy care what KVO/TKO rate is. I have NOT seen one that has not. Usually again it may be a variable rate ratio as described.

R/r 911

tydek07

Forum Captain
:p
120 lpm...

Come on people... its very simple to understand. 120 Liters per Month. :p nah, thats still too much :glare: ... I tried to help you mycrofft haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Gi.Josiah6201

Forum Probie
KVO drip rates

My facility typically runs 30ml/H but I often wonder for someone that has CHF / pulmonary edema and is running KVO over days / weeks if even this small amt is too much. Been keeping my older pt's that are KVO at about 10mL/H. But thats just me.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Remember the normal urine output is about 30 ml/hr and with an additional diuretic the fluids over 24 hours is nominal.

R/r 911

mycrofft

Thanks tydek, I'll take my whipping.

With our pt's so-called veins most of the time our start attempts are futile, lucky for them. We also do not give IV drugs except D50...yet...:blush: