kvo

goidf

Forum Crew Member
so what exactly is a the drip-rate for KVO?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I usually just leave it closed, you really don't have to "keep open" venous access. If I had to guess, maybe 25ml/hr.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

goidf

Forum Crew Member

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
"A drop every few seconds to help keep the line patent."

But yes, what usal said. I've normally just got a lock and don't even hang fluids.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It all depends on what "KVO" means to your agency. I was taught that it's 20ml/hr. Easy to calculate if you're using a 10gtt set. :)

Most of the time, unless I am giving meds or a fluid challenge, I just use a saline lock. I've never had one clot off, even during long transports.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
If I dig deep into the memory banks I believe it was about 30mls/hr. Here we use locks and don't worry about it. The hospital only flushes a lock a couple of times a day. If we hang fluid it is for a reason and set the rate accordingly.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
so what exactly is a the drip-rate for KVO?

I don't count the drip rate. KVO literally means to Keep Vein Open. The slowest rate to keep the vein open on an IV is to barely drip at all. Plain and simple.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
If I dig deep into the memory banks I believe it was about 30mls/hr. Here we use locks and don't worry about it. The hospital only flushes a lock a couple of times a day. If we hang fluid it is for a reason and set the rate accordingly.

Same here

30ml/hr though we just use a lock unless we have a reason to hang.

EDIT: a bag of fliuds, not the pt.

18G

Paramedic
I've always heard 30-60mL/hr for KVO. It doesn't really make a difference if its 20mL/hr or 40mL/hr in an adult. An infant or neonate is a different story but sounds like your strictly speaking with adults.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

This