Kind of a Personal Question

CookieMonster

Forum Ride Along
i live in northern california and top pay for emt's is aour 42k and 65 for paramedics.

a friend told me that Reach pays there emt's 17/hr so thats pretty good.

ive also heard that fire/medics make close to 100k a yr.

but maybe i heard wrong.:wacko:

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Imagine said:
I live in the boston area, I'm interested to know how much Boston EMS pays, because I'm seriously considering this as my lifes work, and at this point, I've done a lot of number crunching. I know that it varies alot from region to region, so I"m just wondering what MA medics start out at in cities...

Also, how hard is it to get a job once out of school?

Boston EMS is the most selective EMS service, nationally.
Once you are hired as an EMT for example, you have to go through their Recruit Training Acad. which is 24 weeks long. Once you've gone through their school you're placed on probation status until you have worked for a period of time as determined by your FTO.

Same thing for Paramedics.

medic5204

Forum Ride Along
Austin recruiting

Austin EMS is almost always hiring, most medics are making 60K pretty easily. We have had rough spots but with our new schedule conversion, I think the job has become much easier. We now have 12 hour options as well as 24's and quite a few "hybrid" schedules. The work week is only 48 hours, so we have lots of time off. The folks who came from Boston, Alaska, Oregon, or Washington to complete their ride outs can probably give you a better outside impression but I have been quite happy here.

Call 1-888-448-2367.

http://www.atcems.org/Careers/careerQuestions.cfm

divinewind_007

Forum Lieutenant
at my private service here we make $11.50 for EMTs and $14 for medics. at my county 911 service it is 8$ for EMTs and 9$ for medics

ffmedic

Forum Probie
I feel pretty good up here in Washington. As senior medic, seniority gets me approx 80k a year on approx 46.5 hour work week. I wish I had some of the California retirement percentage though.

We have been blessed with a great medical director and a unique area to work in. I have been able to raise a family and have a good life helping others to have one too. No matter where you live I have a hard time thinking you can make a comfortable life for a family on $9 hour as a medic. Burn out rate is too high and then what do you do? I was treated well enough and have enough time off to manage to make it well past the national average.

But money isn't all there is. We do have a very liberal "trade" policy. Basically if I can trade with one of the other medics and pay him/her back later I can pretty much take off when I please. With a few exceptions, if the seat is filled with a qualified body, they don't care what you do. Just don't screw the system, keep it between the guys, and your fine. This is worth at least an extra $10 an hour beleive me.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
FF, sounds like you've got it made!

Any experience with Medic One of Seattle?

ffmedic

Forum Probie
I wouldn’t say got it made. I am 27 years senior. It took all 27 years to get there. Sort of like the band that hits it big seemingly over night when they really have been playing the dives for a long time and living in a bus. J

I am north of Seattle. They trained our first group of medics 33 years ago. I believe there is a sort of rivalry between my med director and theirs. At least there was. You know two very strong personalities with egos to match. Truthfully both systems probably needed guys like this to even get off the ground. My experience with them is limited to the stories I heard from the original guys. They really told of strong professional medics back when the world hardly knew what one was. I think they are better paid than I am based on union comparables and I think they have a 40 hour work week, not sure. Even with my years I am almost afraid to ride with them because of their legend. (not) J

On the serious side we all do different things based on our locations. I think Seattle has a pretty healthy (pun) knife and gun club. We on the other hand don’t get many shootings beyond suicides ( oooo but that dude with the 357 hole in him from the county cop was nasty). We have a very large retirement community so I get many more seniors who screwed up 50-60 years of their life and suddenly find it wasn’t such a good idea. Though like I said I do have I-5 as my territory and that provides my daily dose of trauma to keep me sane. :} (evil grin)

Puahala

Forum Probie
Firechic said:
Firefighter/paramedics in my department start out at $47K and top out at $62K. There are also incentive pays and OT that can increase your salary to well over the 62K.
Shift Captains start at $65K and top out at $72K.
My department is in Texas. I agree with horsehauler, working 8-10 days/ month is not a bad deal!

The one thing about that though is in EMS you are always open to working another job in EMS if your time permits. I work, right now, for a ambulance company with 16 hours days two days a week that leaves me with 5 days left to work another EMS job. So if you are asking if there is money to be made in the profession yes there is if you play the cards right and have the time of course.

Colorado Medic

Forum Probie
Here in Colorado if you work for a private service you make alot less. As if you work for a Fire based EMS dept. Fire Base you can Avg for a Fire Medic from 47k-70k and for private ambulance service you can avg from 30k-49k depending if you are with a county service as well. THIS IS STATE WIDE

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Here in Colorado if you work for a private service you make alot less. As if you work for a Fire based EMS dept. Fire Base you can Avg for a Fire Medic from 47k-70k and for private ambulance service you can avg from 30k-49k depending if you are with a county service as well. THIS IS STATE WIDE
Welcome to the forum!

I tried getting a job in Aurora, CO. Too bad it didn't work out.

I hope you stick around and continue to post!

Colorado Medic

Forum Probie
Welcome to the forum!

I tried getting a job in Aurora, CO. Too bad it didn't work out.

I hope you stick around and continue to post![/QUO

Thank you very much I am glad I found this forum??

Where did you try and get a job at.

Colorado Medic

Forum Probie
Yeah DG pays geat. But you work 4-10's and run an avg of 8-9 calls every shift. It's a very busy system.

Griffin

Forum Ride Along
Ah lets see -- this county is about 10.50/hr starting EMT, and 12.50 for medic.

At least that's what it was like when I started about 3 years ago.

No extra $$ for certs or keeping your NR up to date.

And yeah, in this area I still know of some EMT's that make minimum wage and medics getting paid 10/hr or less.

Ah this is all in West TN, BTW.

It's ok, but I don't consider myself paid anymore until I hit OT. Averaging 60-65 paid hours a week not counting sleeping there. It's normal practice around here to pay only 16 hours out of a 24 hour shift. Clock out at 11, sleep there, and don't clock in unless you're making a call.