KCM1

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
Just a FYI, this years application date ends April 1st, and I also have heard that we may be hiring 4 this year...? Not 100% on that. Good luck to all, and if you have questions, feel free!

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
How many qualified applicants do you usually see for 4 spots? Is there anything beyond basic paramedic experience that they are looking for, or anything not listed in their online posting that sets applicants apart? Is there a streamlined testing process for out of state applicants, or a requirement for WA certification prior to applying?

OP
OP
FLMedic311

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
How many qualified applicants do you usually see for 4 spots? Is there anything beyond basic paramedic experience that they are looking for, or anything not listed in their online posting that sets applicants apart? Is there a streamlined testing process for out of state applicants, or a requirement for WA certification prior to applying?
All great questions I will answer to the best of my ability. So typically we only hire 3 per year, but IF a qualified 4th candidate were to appear we may hire 4. My understanding is that annually we have between 150-200 candidates nation wide.
Minimum requirements are 3 years Full time in a EMS system as either a EMT or Paramedic. Being a Medic does not guarantee anything as last year we hired all EMTs, so best picks go. What makes a best? Well the exact details are beyond me but I am sure you and I can easily imagine what makes a good candidate.
No Wa cert requirements, and as far as streamlining for out of state, I am not sure exactly what you mean, but I can say having tested coming from Florida they were very helpful and forthcoming with details to make the entire process as simple and pleasant as possible.
Hope this helps, if anyone has anything else they wish to ask please feel free to leave a comment or message me!

FLMedic86

Forum Ride Along
So I'll be honest, I made an account specifically to follow the KCM1 threads, (as I've been lurking for quite some time.) Unfortunately I'm not in a position to apply now due to extenuating circumstances (I share custody of my 6 year old and wouldn't think about leaving him behind until he's older) but it has been my goal for a while to eventually make the move to KCM1 when my son is a little bit older. I'm currently working in a high volume, high acuity 911 system in Florida. I see several "intense" or "critical" medical and trauma calls per year. I work as an EMT but have gone through medic school, I'm just waiting my turn so so speak to clear as a medic.

My question really comes down to, what are they looking for in a candidate? Other than the obvious knowledge based testing questions, what can I be doing in the meantime to make sure that when the time is right for me to start applying, I am making the most of my chances? I'll be 40 when I'm in that comfortable range and I just want to make sure I give it the best go and I'm a strong candidate.

OP
OP
FLMedic311

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
Another FLMedic!!! Love it lol! Don't know if you have read other threads I have posted in, so just so you know where I am coming from I am in my probation here at KCM1. I am in no way involved in the hiring process much less know a lot about "key ingredients" to make you a stand out candidate. Anything I could/would say here regarding what to work on is not only very subjective but also quite possibly inaccurate. Which is why I said earlier to go for the sure fire things that make a candidate stick out. Go for the thing you would look for if you were in charge of a hiring process. The more you can put in a resume both experience and education is a plus. If you haven't already I would recommend taking a critical care course, my personal recommendation being The U of F CCP Course. It is extremely well organized and packed full of everything you need to become a well trained clinician. Derek Hunt the program director is a great guy! Really don't have a lot beyond that. I totally understand the family aspect of your situation and completely agree with Family First! Good luck to you and if there is anything else I can help you with feel free to PM me!

FLMedic86

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the reply! (And you'll have to forgive my lack of originality on the user name, I was in a pinch and feeling especially uncreative...they say immitation is the most sincere form of flattery!)