KCM1 Now Hiring

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
FLMedic311, I don't know much about the workflow there at KCM1 (for obvious reasons). I've really only seen the Medic 1 hype video (which didn't exactly impress) and seen anecdotes online from AMR, Trimed, Olympic, etc personnel that highlight patients that "should have been ALS but weren't".

Does M1 do things like medicate abdominal pain?

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
FLMedic311, I don't know much about the workflow there at KCM1 (for obvious reasons). I've really only seen the Medic 1 hype video (which didn't exactly impress) and seen anecdotes online from AMR, Trimed, Olympic, etc personnel that highlight patients that "should have been ALS but weren't".

I can totally dig that, I was there myself! As far as your question it is kinda vague.. Like abd pain I have been vomiting all night or I think this guy is having a AAA? The first is going to go Trimed, the second we will take and treat, anything in between is kind of a grey area depending on the medics that respond, the pt's vitals, S/S, and system status..

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I can totally dig that, I was there myself! As far as your question it is kinda vague.. Like abd pain I have been vomiting all night or I think this guy is having a AAA? The first is going to go Trimed, the second we will take and treat, anything in between is kind of a grey area depending on the medics that respond, the pt's vitals, S/S, and system status..

What about the patient that isn't a "hot belly" AAA, but an acute appy, or chole? Tearing, tachy, hypertensive, etc.?...

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
What about the patient that isn't a "hot belly" AAA, but an acute appy, or chole? Tearing, tachy, hypertensive, etc.?...
Not intentionally trying to be vague or dodge your question but to be honest this sounds like it falls in that grey area.. I can personally say there have been some of these that I have transported and others I sent AMB.. Under the setting of all that you stated tearing, tachy and HTN I can say I would def take and most people I have met I believe would probably as well. Sorry I can't give you a more black and white answer

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

See, that right there is why I would not be a successful KCM1 medic. To me, the first patient you suggested is an ALS patient until otherwise proven, one who would get some sort of antiemetic/pain management/etc as indicated and needed. It's not that the KCM1 approach is wrong, it's just not the way I like to practice.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If this is still accurate, I don't think you do. However, it seems like they provide 88 college credit hours, and they have an agreement to transfer those credits to Pitt for their bachelors' program.

Becoming a PA is definitely more academic work, especially if you don't have the prereqs -- and also because that's two years of graduate school versus circa 10 months of paramedic school.
It says 39 transfer credits in the document you posted. This is how much any standard paramedic program is worth which meets the minimum national standards and hours to become accredited. Where do you see 88 university credit hours? Most accredited universities have a cap of what they can accept from vocational training programs for advanced standing students. Sometimes vocational training will not transfer at all and they get around it with a loop hole for "experiential learning", which is normally severely capped.

Last edited:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Here is The University of Washington PA program (MEDEX) classroom portion. http://depts.washington.edu/medex/pa-program/curriculum/didactic-year/ I realize it is intense but no more of a time commitment than medic 1's 3000 hour 11 month paramedic program. In fact, it has less "clock" hours if you convert the credit hours to clock hours. It's a little unfair to compare since I am not including the 2nd year which is clinical ( http://depts.washington.edu/medex/pa-program/curriculum/clinical-year/ ) but I imagine after medic 1 training you are probably mentored or have an FTO which is also something to consider. In my case, I am 35 years old, I have over 10 years on the job, I have a bachelor's degree with most of the prereq's required by the PA-C program. It's also worth noting I am not the only one... So in my opinion, If I was going to commit to an incredibly intense year of training... repeating my paramedic program or becoming a PA would be a no brainer. You are a higher level provider as a PA, the salary is better, PA-C is good outside the very small community of King County, Washington, opening up 99% of the country, plus you get a masters degree out of it.