Just took my first class....

Dezzy14

Forum Ride Along
I've just started my first "round" of EMT Courses. Fingers crossed they prepare me to be the best EMT possible. I'm already a champ at CPR and feel pretty confident going forward.

If any of you veterans :p have any suggestions, tips, tricks or helpful words of advice to help a new kid get through college, it would be much appreciated. I'm the only person I know in the health profession, so my normal group of friends just really don't understand.

Thanks!

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Sleep, social life, good grades. Welcome to college, now pick two.

nwiemt

Forum Ride Along
Do no get all super hyper about everything, it will annoy the instructor and your classmates. Do not go out and buy a Littmann stethoscope for your second day of class. Do yourself a favor and never ever ever go to galls.com... EVER. Keep focused, and remember to apply for paramedic school as soon as you can after basic school. Good luck!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Aye, I see no wrong with being super hyped and buying a littman. If you have to buy your own equipment then I wouldn't recommend choosing something of lesser quality or holding out until last minute. You're probably going to start doing vitals within the second or third week (or you may have already started on the first day of class, but they usually go over legal + ethical issues w/ your well being on the first day and then you run out of time) so having the littman would be a good idea. I can understand being excessively hyped where you get in the way of your own learning (and others) by interrupting the instructor, being too nervous, etc., but I don't think being hyped is a bad thing. I know that I am totally stoked and hyped about what I learn at school, I go to every study group I can, and I am always more than glad to help my fellow classmates. I might come off as excited, but to the instructors and other students thus far, they like that I am confident in what I do, enjoy it, put effort, etc., while I am not detrimental to the class.

Good luck, don't be scared, study groups are awesome, and having equipment will help (if you can't take vitals yet).

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Sleep, social life, good grades. Welcome to college, now pick two.

Oh, I thought it was just one.....:p

OP, good luck and have fun! It hink by not being over hyper they mean do not talk constantly like one guy in a class I am helped teach once. Always had a very vocal opinion or a critical analysys of another crew's run ready to give out to anyone who did or did not want to hear. And then the thing that really drove me crazy; almost violently agrreing with the whoever was teraching then adding to it like he knew absolulty everthing. Eg; SEI says "Make sure you plapate the artery before you take a BP so you can place the steth in the right place" student says "Yes, it is definatly very importaint to palpate the artery before taking a BP on a pt because that way you know you have the steth right over the artery an you can hear it alot better that way." (NO DUH!!!!!!!!!!! The instructor just said essentially that!) I was always thinking how he just needed to shut up, sit still and listen for once. I guess you would call him the "self imposed instructor student"

Stirley

Forum Ride Along
Do no get all super hyper about everything, it will annoy the instructor and your classmates. Do not go out and buy a Littmann stethoscope for your second day of class. Do yourself a favor and never ever ever go to galls.com... EVER. Keep focused, and remember to apply for paramedic school as soon as you can after basic school. Good luck!

my instructor gave a link to galls.com on the course syllabus...

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Do yourself a favor and never ever ever go to galls.com... EVER.

I wouldn't go that far. They are a reputable vendor. Just don't buy too much stuff. THAT'S when it get's to be a problem ;)

OHMEDIC

Forum Probie

Agreed. Take it one class at a time and don't get to confident about a certain subject or skills...there is always space to learn. Don't put the books down...the more you study the better.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Don't be that person....

If any of you veterans :p have any suggestions, tips, tricks or helpful words of advice to help a new kid get through college, it would be much appreciated.

Just don't be the one person in class who ask too many questions, especially questions that they should really know the answers to. It is okay to ask questions if you don't understand something, but if your classmates roll their eyes or groan when you put your hand up........

Just saying....B)