just started paramedic school like some help

Like I said just started medic school and looking for some extra study material and was wondering what I should buy or download
Take an A&P class or Human Biology.
Gah! I try to keep my punctuation and grammar Nazi tendencies under control, but you're going to have to try again here.

God.... How many times have you let me slide? ;-)

Whoops lol im just asking fire study materials with test questions by sections because I like to take tests before I go take my test to get my Brain ready and confidence up on the section

well I still stand by what I said.
However, regarding test prep I hear good things about the "JBL" NREMT test prep. Also check out REA's Interactive Flashcards forParamedics. Its very simple review but it elates to the basic questions

Alright, don't you guys think you are being a little tough on a student?

He (or she) is trying to learn basic stuff like the pediatric dose of atropine and what differentiates a 2nd degree from a third degree AV block, and ya'll are expecting him to be have higher-level cognitive skills that most seasoned paramedics don't even have. That's not how any of us progress through our education.

I got news for you guys: paramedic school doesn't teach critical thinking. None of us were Gods of Thinking Outside the Box halfway though school.

Medic school is tough for many people. You've got someone here who has developed a mechanism for doing what he needs to do to do well in class. It's not ideal, for sure. But it's the instructors - not the students - who deserve consternation for fostering an atmosphere where lack of inquiry is rewarded.

Point out error of his thought process, fine, but I think we oughta save the holier-than-thou judgment for when he's got some experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said just started medic school and looking for some extra study material and was wondering what I should buy or download

Probably nothing. As someone else said, just study your textbook. Study it hard and understand everything in it. If you need more explanation on something, use Google.

Once you've burned through your paramedic text and know it inside and out, buy a good pharmacology text and an A&P text and use those to supplement your paramedic text. There are lots out there.

Alright, don't you guys think you are being a little tough on a student?

There is absolutely no excuse to teaching or advocating cookbook medicine to students. I am not saying its the students fault, but its not the ONLY job of the educator to spoon feed them answers for a final exam and protocol, its to lay down a foundation so they can continue learning. They need to understand at least the basic reasons of why they are doing what they are doing. Furthermore, cognitive learning is only one of the multiple learning domains.

There is absolutely no excuse to teaching or advocating cookbook medicine to students. I am not saying its the students fault, but its not the ONLY job of the educator to spoon feed them answers for a final exam and protocol, its to lay down a foundation so they can continue learning. They need to understand at least the basic reasons of why they are doing what they are doing. Furthermore, cognitive learning is only one of the multiple learning domains.

All I am saying is that this guy sounds like a pretty typical paramedic student, and that his approach is probably fostered and even encouraged by his educators.

Bloom's Taxonomy shows us that "remembering" is the most fundamental aspect of the educational process, and that progression up to "understanding" and beyond cannot take place until the foundational phase is complete. The "analyze and evaluate" phases are the highest parts of the pyramid and take lots of time to develop - likely, much more than a few months. So, quite frankly, I don't think this guy's approach is even wrong.

But even if this guy is wrong in his approach, I think telling him that he's going to be a lousy paramedic is pretty harsh and uncalled for. It's also unlikely to help him or the current paramedic educational paradigm. It's not any individual student's fault that paramedic education is so lacking. I'm not sure how a student can rightly be held responsible for an entire paradigm that has existed since before he was probably even born.

Yes, I am aware of Blooms Taxonomy for cognitive, affective, and psycho motor learning and its different phases. For cognitive its Level 1: Knowledge Level 2: Comprehension Level 3: Application Level 4: Analysis Level 5: Synthesis and also arguably *evaluation.
Page(s): 168, Foundations of Education: An EMS Approach, 2nd ed. by National Association of EMS Educators (NAEMSE). Yes "total recall" is piece of that.
level 2 of the 5(arguably 6) steps is "Level 2: Comprehension focuses on interpretation and understanding of the meaning behind information."
Page(s): 95, Foundations of Education: An EMS Approach, 2nd ed. by National Association of EMS Educators (NAEMSE), Cengage Learning

We all have to memorize a lot of facts and information, numbers, acronyms, even protocols and guidelines. I have been there myself, just like you and just like him/her. I am not trying to flame this person and curse them to hell. I am just saying "push eppie because thats what my protocol says" is a joke. It does not even register past step 2 of blooms. Why are we pushing eppie, how is it going to work and what will it do? A basic understanding of things are critical. Not to mention the students need to have groundwork for a basic foundation so they can continue to learn after the program. I know a Paramedic program is short and time is limited, plus there is a "high stakes" exam at the end. I am not suggesting the student understand the concept the same as a medical student at John Hopkins university. However, "follow protocols" and cookbook medicine is wrong and its wrong to teach it to students. Critical Thinking is a vital and invaluable component to paramedic education.

All I am saying is that this guy sounds like a pretty typical paramedic student, and that his approach is probably fostered and even encouraged by his educators.

Bloom's Taxonomy shows us that "remembering" is the most fundamental aspect of the educational process, and that progression up to "understanding" and beyond cannot take place until the foundational phase is complete. The "analyze and evaluate" phases are the highest parts of the pyramid and take lots of time to develop - likely, much more than a few months. So, quite frankly, I don't think this guy's approach is even wrong.

But even if this guy is wrong in his approach, I think telling him that he's going to be a lousy paramedic is pretty harsh and uncalled for. It's also unlikely to help him or the current paramedic educational paradigm. It's not any individual student's fault that paramedic education is so lacking. I'm not sure how a student can rightly be held responsible for an entire paradigm that has existed since before he was probably even born.

Back