Just had another interview...

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
And I'm not feeling so good about it. The interviewer spent almost the entire time asking me about my H6. I have 3 tickets, all 2003 and earlier. No DUI's, accidents, suspensions or anything crazy like that. Just speeding tickets.

It seemed like he pretty much made his decision based on that. I know I'm probably whining, but I hate feeling like my tickets from 7 years ago, combined with my lack of EMT experience, are going to keep me from getting a job in this field. As if people don't mature from 18 to 25? Feels like I don't have a chance to prove myself and it's frustrating.

Any suggestions? When asked about my record, I usually just try to explain that I was young, that I've matured a lot and my more recent record reflects that.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
I thought all minors and their points in CA fall off your record after 3 years.

Not sure though. I got hired with 1.5 points on my record at two companies.
However, I have my CDL-A, have been driving a while, and it was my first speeding ticket ever.

OP
OP
reidnez

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
I thought all minors and their points in CA fall off your record after 3 years.

Not sure though. I got hired with 1.5 points on my record at two companies.
However, I have my CDL-A, have been driving a while, and it was my first speeding ticket ever.

The points in question occurred while I was an adult (only just.) I don't fully understand it but from what I know, as far as insurance is concerned, points are 'gone' after 3 years. But the H6 is a 10-year report and my old tickets are still on there. Maybe I should find something else to do until 2013? :rolleyes:

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
I filled out an application there and got interview on the spot too. Then they schedualed me a ride along like 4 days later but i never got a call back after that ride along which i didn't care to much about anyways that company is really sketchy.

I just had an interview with Care on wednesday and the guy told me that they may contact people on friday whichis today on there decisions or they may wait till the first week of august. I haven't received a call today from them so im wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to give them a call today?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
reidnez

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
I filled out an application there and got interview on the spot too. Then they schedualed me a ride along like 4 days later but i never got a call back after that ride along which i didn't care to much about anyways that company is really sketchy.

I haven't been able to find any info on the company. At this point I just want an EMT job, you gotta start somewhere. Yeah I'd love to work for SDMSE and do 911 calls (and I did get an interview with them) but it won't do me any good to hold out. At this point, I just want to start getting those EMT hours done so I can go to medic school. In my (newbie) opinion, BLS transport is BLS transport, I'm not going to snub my nose at anyone who might hire me.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
I haven't been able to find any info on the company. At this point I just want an EMT job, you gotta start somewhere. Yeah I'd love to work for SDMSE and do 911 calls (and I did get an interview with them) but it won't do me any good to hold out. At this point, I just want to start getting those EMT hours done so I can go to medic school. In my (newbie) opinion, BLS transport is BLS transport, I'm not going to snub my nose at anyone who might hire me.

Ya well i didn't snub off ER ambulance but i wasnt really bummed out that i didnt get a call back. I put in an app with SDMSE back in Feb and never got a call from them and i bugged them all the time. I just re-submitted an app last monday.

I interview at Care on wednesday and they said they might call people on Friday with their decisions or they might call the first week of August. I'm wondering if i should give them a call today or if that would be pushing it.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Either way, I don't think the speeding tickets would be a huge issue.

Factoring your age, and general driving record, a speeding ticket or two isn't a huge deal. I mean I'm 29, I have my CA Class-A CDL with all endorsements, driven anywhere and everywhere and I recently got my first ever speeding ticket in 13+ years of driving and I might get 1.5 points (since I have a CDL even though I was in my personal vehicle, how ridiculous is that), and when I let my company know about the ticket being possible points when I was getting hired they were like that's no big deal.

Superior Court of CA is confusing though, and since I wrote a letter asking for bail reduction is basically enters my plea as no contest (which the judge will find me as guilty for) which means I might have a lower fee to pay but I could still get the points on my record. So now, I have to have my lawyer call and file a motion to reopen the case so he can represent me to get it taken care of. Luckily the DMV isn't notified until the fee is paid and the case is closed.

So ridiculous.

Malissa

Forum Probie
class A is a commercial license and here in California you can not go to traffic school if you have a commercial license.

Good luck on getting a job. I do not think those tickets should really matter because even though they are still on the H6 the will not affect insurance because they are over three years old.

OP
OP
reidnez

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
class A is a commercial license and here in California you can not go to traffic school if you have a commercial license.

Good luck on getting a job. I do not think those tickets should really matter because even though they are still on the H6 the will not affect insurance because they are over three years old.

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. When I interviewed with RM, they said that my old tickets were no big deal and they though it was silly that a 10-year record was required. The interviewer said all he would consider (other than serious things like DUI's and accidents) were tickets within the last 3 years. I know my record does not affect my personal insurance, so it seems like it wouldn't affect the employer's insurance. And as far as responsibility goes, if being a good boy for 7 years isn't good enough then I guess I'm just not cut out for that company :p.