Just had a question...

SPark6082

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone...just joined the forum and was hoping someone could help me out with a question I have. I'm about to apply for a job as an Ambulance driver/attendant but I have a few points on my record--three to be exact. I could wait til the end of May, at which point I'll only have 1 point on my record, but is that necessary? Will the two points cost me a job? Or are the ambulance companies willing to look beyond the driving record since my "driving fast days" are behind me?
any comment would be appreciated.:beerchug:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Quite possibly, yes. If it won't kill you, hang out until your record clears up a bit.

And stop driving like such a farkin' maniac! :)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
You can't wait 9 days for two points to drop off? :glare:

Even though your points are going to drop off, they are probably still going to ask you if you have had any tickets in the past 3 or 5 years. Most important thing to remember, be honest. Don't try to hide your tickets thinking that they are gone just because the points are. That is hardly ever the case.

Be honest with them. "Yeah, I've had a few tickets but I realized how stupid it was, putting myself and others in danger, and I haven't had a ticket since (enter date here) and I've concentrated on cleaning up my driving record and currently only have one point."

Hopefully they will see you as being sincere (if you truly are), and instead of it being a black mark during the interview it will turn out to be a gold one.

Oh, and welcome to EMTLife!!

OP
OP
S

SPark6082

Forum Ride Along
thanks for the comments guys...actually it's a month and nine days until they're gone, but regardless I see what you're saying...less points is better than more although a good person w/a not-so-perfect record is better than jerk w/a perfect record...something like that...

yeah, I guess I can wait but it's just that I needed to get a job soon and plus I recently had a ride-along with the company and wanted to apply while they still remember me...

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Sorry, I missed the "end of" portion about May.

OC - Orange County, CA? I used to live in Irvine near Tustin. We have another really great member who lives about an hour from there.

Anyway, I can definitely understand wanting to apply while they still remember you. You said you have three points. How many tickets have you had? What were they for? When did you get them?

OP
OP
S

SPark6082

Forum Ride Along
Chimpie said:
Anyway, I can definitely understand wanting to apply while they still remember you. You said you have three points. How many tickets have you had? What were they for? When did you get them?

Well, right now I have three tickets each worth one point. All for speeding... The two that should be coming off soon were from 5/2003 and another one from about a year or so ago. Beyond that, I have actually had quite a few tickets from before.... Like I said those were from my younger days and I've been really doing all I can to keep from getting more tickers (leaving early so I'm not rushing to get where I'm going, for one) but nonetheless I did get them and all I can do is keep from getting any more. Why do you ask?

OP
OP
S

SPark6082

Forum Ride Along
Chimpie said:
OC - Orange County, CA? I used to live in Irvine near Tustin. We have another really great member who lives about an hour from there.

Yeah I'm actually in Irvine too...it seems many of the members here are on the east coast...

Last edited by a moderator:

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Irvine, CA...Home of Taco Bell Corp. :D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
SPark6082 said:
...I'm about to apply for a job as an Ambulance driver/attendant...

Umm... are you an EMT now? Are you applying somewhere where THEY will train you to be an EMT? The days of Mother, Jugs, and Speed, and/or Mayfair Ambulance are long gone

Most of us resent being called "ambulance drivers" to some extent... would you call a nurse a "wheelchair pusher"???

As for the question... they are going to ask questions about criminal history, etc... be up front about anything.

I'd say go for it now... talk with them, explain the situation... Many places take weeks to hire you on, backround check you and train you anyway.

Jon

OP
OP
S

SPark6082

Forum Ride Along
MedicStudentJon said:
Most of us resent being called "ambulance drivers" to some extent... would you call a nurse a "wheelchair pusher"???

:lol: sorry.. just got used to seeing it called that on applications and paperwork...anyway, I've decided to just go ahead and apply for the job...I guess if they like everything else about me my record won't stop them from hiring me. I'll let you guys know what happens..:beerchug:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
SPark6082 said:
:lol: sorry.. just got used to seeing it called that on applications and paperwork...anyway, I've decided to just go ahead and apply for the job...I guess if they like everything else about me my record won't stop them from hiring me. I'll let you guys know what happens..:beerchug:
So you are currently an EMT?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
oops... I guess I doubled...

Umm.... I think 1 will do...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
MedicStudentJon said:
oops... I guess I doubled...

Umm.... I think 1 will do...

What are you talking about...I only see one post ;)

OP
OP
S

SPark6082

Forum Ride Along
MedicStudentJon said:
So you are currently an EMT?

are you asking if I have all my certs or if I'm currently working as an EMT? ... I have all my certificates (CA ambulance driver cert, county EMT/ambulance attendant card, and national registry EMT cert, etc.) but I'm not currently working as one... I want to soon, though. I actually have an interview tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Good luck regardless Spark. California is definately different when it comes to EMS licensure/certification. I think there are like 39 different licensing agencies (maybe why you listed a county EMT card).

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
SPark6082 said:
are you asking if I have all my certs or if I'm currently working as an EMT? ... I have all my certificates (CA ambulance driver cert, county EMT/ambulance attendant card, and national registry EMT cert, etc.) but I'm not currently working as one... I want to soon, though. I actually have an interview tomorrow so we'll see what happens.
Yeah.. that was my question.

I wanted to see if you were trying to walk in off the street to AMR and say "Yo, I wanna be an Ambulance Driver!" or if you had your certifications, etc.

Thanks.

OP
OP
S

SPark6082

Forum Ride Along
well, I thought I'd let you guys know that I had the interview a couple days ago and got the job:beerchug:

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
SPark6082 said:
well, I thought I'd let you guys know that I had the interview a couple days ago and got the job:beerchug:

Congrats!!! Thanks for letting us know! :)