Just got back from oral boards with the medical director

Epi-do

I see dead people
Surprisingly, I wasn't nearly as nervous as I thought I would be. I had two scenarios and then he quizzed me on one of the protocols. The first scenario was an allergic reaction. I went through that one ok and feel confident about how it went.

The second scenario was an overdose with multiple meds. I picked up on the narcotic right away, and tried narcan, but it didn't have any affect. There was also a beta blocker, so I gave glucagon - again, no change in the patient. The patient had also taken a bunch of antibiotics, Xanax, and a psych med. The psych med was a tricyclic, and I missed it. Apparently, had I given bicarb my patient would have improved. As soon as I got outside and looked at my OD protocol I said a few choice words. The whole time I was working through the scenario, I knew I was missing something that was right in front of my face.

The protocol that he quizzed us about was our spinal clearing protocol. We had to basically tell him what the protocol was and then he asked as a few questions about the specifics of it, the biggest one being how do you determine what a distracting injury is.

I just got off the phone with one of the other people in class, and at least I remembered to give the allergic reaction benadryl...

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The whole process is a learning experience. Good job! At least now you can take a deep breath and know that it's over.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
You will never miss it again. tough call and under those circumstances you did fine. i must say though as you may know that is it way easier in the field taking care of tough problems then sitting in a room with a bunch of straight faced individuals. in the field you wont second guess and you will know exactly what to do based off what you see.