Just a question

chico.medic

Forum Crew Member
Can anyone explain the etiology behind trismus in a witnessed cardiac arrest patient. Seen it quite a few times and it resembles a seizure while in v-fib.

OP
OP
chico.medic

chico.medic

Forum Crew Member
......anyone?:glare:

mtmedic

Forum Crew Member
I have seen this as well on a few codes and I guess if I had a theory it would be the systemic hypoxia and the effects it would have locally on the trigeminal nerve and masseter muscles causing them to spasm and clench down. I don't know if this helps but without researching it this is all I have for ya.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
From what I have read, it is caused by an increase in catecholamine responses from hypoxia. Remember, at that time in the cellular level a whole array of problems is occurring at Na+, Ca+ levels..The same occurrence in some seizure activity in v-fib patients. Hypoxia and irritability secondary from the irritability of nervous system.

R/r 911

OP
OP
chico.medic

chico.medic

Forum Crew Member
Makes sense, Thanks to you both!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
When I worked on the ambulance I can remember running a several calls that started out as "seizure" and when we got there, it was a cardiac arrest, interesting food for thought. Good point to be brought up Chico Medic! :)