Just a bit "miffed" this morning...

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been an EMT-B for just over two years. I have been a volunteer firefighter/EMT-B with one department for two years, and am in the training phase with another ambulance service as a paid/on-call EMT-B. I am now, for the first time, dealing with an individual that is extremely difficult to train with on the ambulance service. I say very little when I am at the ambulance service. It's in another county, I really don't know folks well, and I have a lot to learn coming from a non-transport vollie BLS level FD. I'm not sure if the quiet approach is working for me, I am always polite, I always engage when spoken to or asked a question. Also, after calls, when I have questions I do ask them...and have found most of the P's and I's I've trained with to be accomodating, willing to share their knowledge and experience. I appreciate that a great deal, and always thank them.

However...there is one P I've been with a few times that I am now having problems with. When I was with her, it was apparant not only to me, but to the other EMT with us, and the nurses around us....that the P was frustrated and exasperated with me (all due to a cot snafu on my part). The eye-rolling, audible huffing and puffing, and impatient comments I felt were a bit inappropriate as the patient wasn't critical. I hadn't touched a cot since my clinicals and despite my asking multiple times at the station for someone to please go over it with me a few times, no one did. I felt stupid enough forgetting to lift before pulling, to lower the cot. Further, when I have been in the back of a rig with her.....there is no asking me, or instructing me.....(I could understand someone barking orders in a critical situation and have no problem with that) the tone is always derisive, and frankly I'm almost 40 myself and this person is late 30's I'm guessing.....but making faces? C'mon, we're not in kindergarden. I don't think it is in the patient's best interests to see that kind of drama. It makes me unconfortable, I know on least one occasion it made the patient uncomfortable.

And I may be getting written up (oh boy!) as I found out last night. Here's why. Since I am out of county, I stay at the station when I'm on call, and as I stated previously I am still in training, so I am on as a third. That's fine, no problem. I've been through two driving courses......one with my vollie fire department for a state-certification class for emergency vehicles. Excellent class, backing a fire engine through a serpentine was interesting! I also have experience driving with my first department. I also went through another emergency driving course with the ambulance service. Here's the hitch...since I stay at the station, when we get toned out, I would pull out the rig, get out and wait for the arrival of the primary team. I did this without thinking, as this is what we do at the fire department. First one in, pulls out the truck and gets ready for everyone else to show up. I was never told I couldn't do this, and I had done it several times over the past few months, and not one medic said a word to me about it.

Same aforementioned P....complains at a staff meeting nearly a month after I rode with her.....not having said anything to me or anyone else about it, that I pulled the rig out, shouldn't be doing it, and further "implied" she told me I couldn't do it, which never happened. The medic (a different one) I was with last night told me I can't pull the rig out, and I was advised of what had been said, etc etc. She was operating on the premise that I had been told not to do it. All I could do was inform her that I had indeed NOT been told, and that now that I know, I won't do it again. Not having ever been told not to, and nothing being in the written protocols about it, I'm truly wondering why this has turned into the big thing it now is. I'm not exactly sure what I am supposed to do or say as a "vollie" basic in training against a "full-time" medic if she actually states she told me not to pull the rig out, when she didn't. It then turns into a she said-she said situation, and I'm fairly certain I will be on the losing end of that stick.

Also, over the past several months this same P has made multiple negative comments about other members of the service as well. I don't want to hear that stuff! I don't want to know who she feels is stupid and why. I don't want to hear that the majority of the people on the department are idiots. Nor do I wish to be around someone with creative story-telling skills that pushes opinion as fact in an effort to hurt someone's reputation or career. I am quite sure this individual has excellent clinical skills as a paramedic. I've seen it, she's good, at times, impressive. Sucky co-worker people skills. When I am with her I feel like pasting a sign on my forehead that says "Yes, I am an idiot, it's true" just to spare myself of her making sure that I, and everyone around us, knows how she feels. Label myself before she does, I guess.

I am taking the wait and see approach to the whole write up thing, naturally I wish to "defend" myself but I don't want to over-explain the situation to death with my supervisors. I will wait and see if the director asks me, and I will answer honestly if I am. That's all I can do. But I am not sitting here wondering if there is more than a possible write up in store for me now. Other basics have also mentioned having problems. Most of the "vollies" on this service have had problems, and some of the "full timers" have mentioned the attitude.....that it exists and that's the way she is, etc.

What kills me is I have always recognized my position in all of this. Yes, I'm a basic, but just a basic, and further, pretty much inexperienced. Most of what I have done is with the FD, and a first BLS non-transport response. I did well in my class two years ago, and have already exceeded my CE requirements needed in four years, with two years left on my license. I try really hard to stay on top of things, keep up on my CE's, keep my nose in the protocols, and to turn every call into a learning situation. I would have to admit that being far from arrogant, I really run the other direction on the confidence level. And now, being run through the ringer with this gal, I am almost convinced I am the dumbest EMT on the planet. And to think I drive 50 miles round trip to pull shifts as a third, only to come home feeling more insecure in my skills, and thinking I will never make it as an EMT ever. I am sitting here this morning, extremely tired, having to go to my "real" job soon, believing I am truly stupid. I am so tired right now I am nearly in tears. Gads! Were I only about 5000 years younger.

I apologize for the novel, and thanks to anyone who reads this and doesn't fall over dead with boredom. But I do have a question......can someone please tell me why I am doing this again?:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
Just keep telling yourself,"I do it to make a difference I do it to help others"

OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
MariaCatEMT said:

However...there is one P I've been with a few times that I am not having problems with.

Heh, tired Maria typo's......."that I am NOW having problems with".......is correct.....can't even use the fat-fingered excuse since the T & W aren't side by side <sigh> I'm hoping that is my worst mistake today, after the past few weeks, it would be rather refreshing.

Maria - I fixed it for you. :) Erika

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
My instructor told me this.. maybe it will help...

"A lot of the Ps that have been doing it for awhile forget they were once basics..they tend to lose security when fresh meat arrives, and forget that they were there once, they get complexes and egos so big they cant fit through the door"

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Celtictigeress said:
My instructor told me this.. maybe it will help...

"A lot of the Ps that have been doing it for awhile forget they were once basics..they tend to lose security when fresh meat arrives, and forget that they were there once, they get complexes and egos so big they cant fit through the door"

This may very well be true but this is not a correct analysis of this individual in my opinion. There are a few of these I work with on occasion that have, what has been described to me, a toxic personality. This meaning they are born onto this earth simply to make as many people as possible as miserable as they feel. They try to get away with it by pulling the experience card, age card, degrading comments, senseless *****ing etc. You could buy this person a new house with a brand new car and they would still treat you badly. This is their way, nothing will change it.

My suggestion to you is to keep being you. Keep the smile, great outlook, ask the questions, treat everyone the same, including this person. Nothing makes a person whos intent is to make others miserable more miserable themselves than to keep being you being pleasent. Eventually you will be dismissed as a waste of their time, and they will move on to the next "victim".

As far as the acusations against you, don't get pulled into their game. Play your cards dealing with this incident only. Do not point any fingers or make any allegations. Big thing is keep being you. Let them know that you are more than willing to learn the ropes and be someone they can count on. Here is the money winner... Always no matter what, play nice with others!!!! It shows everyone that you are the better person and a team player under any circumstance. In our line of work we need team players.

Hope I helped and good luck!!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Damn I had written out this big long response then lost it because I wasn't logged in, and Colorado put it better than I did. That is exaclty how you should handle it. The big-wigs are going to see her making an *** of herself and you happily going on with your job. Despite her technical skills, this job is just as much about dealing with others and obviously that is not a strong suit of hers.

And yes Maria we are "just" basics with limited knowledge and experience. But we are EMT's who went to school, worked and studied hard and went through a lot to get to where we are, doesn't that count for something? I know my place as you do and my confidence isn't so hot either. I know that there's no way I could run a call solo, but I also know if an emergency came up I at least would know how to get the right help and what to do until it came. Take security in that until you feel more confident in yourself as an EMT.

OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Dang it guys, you just made me cry. I think I need to go to bed. I'm going on 30 hours with no sleep after work yesterday and my shift last night. I got sent home from my job this morning because I walked in looking like the living dead, heh. Don't feel so hot either. Girl needs to take her geritol. And that medic....I mentioned....needs some prune juice. Yep, that's about as mean as I get <shrug>

dang typos, I keep having to come back in because I can't type worth a patoot today grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
MariaCatEMT said:
Dang it guys, you just made me cry. I think I need to go to bed. I'm going on 30 hours with no sleep after work yesterday and my shift last night. I got sent home from my job this morning because I walked in looking like the living dead, heh. Don't feel so hot either. Girl needs to take her geritol. And that medic....I mentioned....needs some prune juice. Yep, that's about as mean as I get <shrug>

dang typos, I keep having to come back in because I can't type worth a patoot today grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

!!! I hope it was happy tears!!!:unsure:

Get some sleep woman, damn no wonder you're upset!

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with the advice that coloradoemt gave - continue doing what you're doing and learn as much as you can from the people who are willing to help you. I have been a paramedic for a while and have seen very few of these type of medics.....toxic. I like that description - toxic personality. I think if you worked in any other job with this type of person, the result would be the same - someone who brings the surrounding coworkers down. For a person in her late 30's, she seems very immature and needs to grow up.
Keep your chin up and remember you are NOT stupid! Don't beat yourself up like that.
I'm probably around the same age as you, so stop making all those geriatric comments - WE ARE NOT OLD!!! :)

SarahT

Forum Probie
I'm not even in school for EMT yet, so my input is literally nul. Others have posted great advice for you. What I'm wondering though, is there a supervisor or someone over you that you feel comfortable talking to? Not like "Oh my God this beeyach just did this..." but more along the lines of "I want to learn more and be more comfortable in my career, but I feel as if..."
It's good that you can talk to others and get advice, but as far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as too much information. Like mentioned earlier, just be yourself. She might have more time on the job, but you are both working together to achieve the same goal. It should be a partnership. Hope things get better.

Sarah