JEMS article

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
A year or two ago JEMS had an article that dealt with specific exercises that could be done using the ambulance as the primary piece of exercise equipment while on duty. I have been trying to track it down for a while now and not able to find it. Can anyone help please?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't help with that specifically, but there's plenty of ways to work out at work even if you don't have any equipment; just start doing calistenics and isometric exercises.

Try doing:
30 pushups
30 situps
30 modified dips (hands on a bench, or bumper of ambulance, legs extended in front of you)
30 squats
Repeat all of the above once, then do 10 pullups.

That counts as 1 set. Try and work your way up to doing 3 sets with minimal (less than a minute) breaks in between each set. Throw in some jogging before hand (if you've got a treadmill at work) and it's a good combination of cardio and stength.

OP
OP
Arkymedic

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Can't help with that specifically, but there's plenty of ways to work out at work even if you don't have any equipment; just start doing calistenics and isometric exercises.

Try doing:
30 pushups
30 situps
30 modified dips (hands on a bench, or bumper of ambulance, legs extended in front of you)
30 squats
Repeat all of the above once, then do 10 pullups.

That counts as 1 set. Try and work your way up to doing 3 sets with minimal (less than a minute) breaks in between each set. Throw in some jogging before hand (if you've got a treadmill at work) and it's a good combination of cardio and stength.

No treadmill and I can do all the exercises except pullups. Despite all the years of Civil Air Patrol, AR JROTC, AF JROTC, and some college level AR ROTC and all the pushups done, I never was able to do even a single pullup.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Check out "Cross Fit". I was introduced to it the other day in the gym. They have a website and look for a pull up that is called Kipping (no reference to me).

It is still a pull up, but there is a way to "swing" your body that allows you to get more momentum and it is a crazy workout. I usually do 10 pull ups at a time, but this allowed me to do 21 on the first try.

I don't know much about Cross Fit except what I was exposed to and what I read. I tell you the 5 minute routine I did was a killer. I am sold.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I've heard about Crossfit. I'm actually planning on switching over to that program in a few months...I'm working on building some weight for right now, but then I'd like to get mroe conditioned with Crossfit.