iv training

galaksija

Forum Ride Along
Hello,
i am emt b (expired) and i would like to get trained in iv administration. Is there any training besides paramedic that teaches this. I live in NYC, but would not mind to attend classes in NJ.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Look for a phlebotomy course from a county college or go for a technician job in a hospital or dialysis center.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
What's your goal in learning how to start an IV? There has to be some kind of context there.

If you'd like to be a phlebotomist, there are plenty of phlebotomy courses at various community or technical schools. They shouldn't take too long.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Having an IV or phleb cert alone won't allow you to start IVs in a prehospital setting without your state/county's AEMT or EMT-IV level. If you want to work as a phlebotomist, everyone above already covered that.
What's your ultimate goal in being trained in IV admin?

OP
OP
G

galaksija

Forum Ride Along
Thank you all for quick response. I know I wont be able to use it on the street, however I would like to learn more abouit it and actually do it, since I like the subject and it was not covered in my emt b. I am slowly getting ready to get into paramedic program, so I just want to learn more about certain topics before I start witht the program.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
^^^. THIS!
Take a few college classes if your really want to slowly get ready for paramedic school. I wish I would have listened to everyone who told me to take an anatomy and physiology class, it would have made it so much easier. IVs on the other hand were easy to learn, it's a simple skill that just requires repetition. There's not much to learn there.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Keep in mind a phlebotomy class isn't necessarily going to teach you to start IV's specifically. It will probably be focused on blood draws, different types of additives and tests, and lab procedures in general. In my phlebotomy class IV's were mentioned and touched on in the book but all of our needle sticks were for blood draws using butterflies or small gauge needles.

If you take the class be prepared to be shocked when you start Paramedic clinicals and see RNs and techs doing all the things your phlebotomy instructor taught you NOT to do. The ER is cowboy phlebotomy.