It's a bird, it's a plane, It's an OXYGEN CYLINDER

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
AKRON, Ohio -- People in an Akron neighborhood are counting their blessings after a life-flight helicopter crew made a dangerous mistake. An unidentified falling object that turned out to be an oxygen tank tore a hole in an apartment building roof, reported NewsChannel5's Brad Harvey. Neighbors at first couldn't figure out what the large metal cylinder that made the hole was.

"It was like, boom. I said, 'Dang, it's like someone's still setting off firecrackers here,' sounded like an M-80," said neighbor Bobby Davis.

It left a huge hole in the roof just a few feet away from where Steve Siefring was sleeping inside. He was so beat after working third shift, the landlord had to wake him up so he could climb up to see what it was.

"They went out my front window, and I was asking them, "What's up there?' And they said, 'An oxygen tank,'" said Siefring.

READ MORE

4714984.jpg

4715026.jpg

4715028.jpg

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Wow, that's interesting. Oops. :blink:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I saw this somewhere else, and the question on that list that was asked was "how does that happen?" Best guess was that the tank was left on a landing-gear cover, and when the gear stowed, the tank fell. But how was the tank missed in the walk-around that most services REQUIRE before liftoff???

Jon

vtemti

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Jul 19 2005, 05:35 PM
I saw this somewhere else, and the question on that list that was asked was "how does that happen?" Best guess was that the tank was left on a landing-gear cover, and when the gear stowed, the tank fell. But how was the tank missed in the walk-around that most services REQUIRE before liftoff???

Jon
Probably like anything else, after years of doing things ya tend to get sloppy and take risks. Not a good habit, but it happens.

OP
OP
TTLWHKR

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Jul 19 2005, 04:35 PM

Jon
The conversation that would take place when an oxygen tank falls off an aircraft and hits someone on the head.

A family standing at a funeral home over the casket...

Person walks up;

Person: "How was he killed?"

Family: "Oxygen Tank"

Person: "Oh, an explosion?"

Family: "No, it hit him on the head"

Person: "How"

Family: "Fell out of the sky"

Person: :blink:

vtemti

Forum Captain
I thought oxygen was the wonder drug for saving lives, but instead we are all now certified in the use of a lethal weapon. :ph34r:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Very good point...

My instructor is a flight medic, and his service uses "E" cylanders as the "Main" O2 source. He tells of his first day there, being asked to change the O2 - then being told that he can't, because he hasn't been trained by the FAA-certified O2 Changer trainer.... The one guy from the service who had the cert got sent to this obscenly expensive course to be able to tell the new guys how to swap out an "E" tank, and say "make sure you strap it down like this."

"you can charge 5x as much, if it involves flight" Just like "you can charge twice as much if you paint it black, put velcro on it and call it tactical"

Jon

Summit

Critical Crazy
bombs away!

vtemti

Forum Captain
This could mean more jobs.

We need to assemble a specialized tactical team for a search and destroy mission of all of the live MIA cylinders?

Any volunteers? :ph34r: