"Is Prehospital EMS (PHEMS) a Profession?"

JPINFV

Gadfly
Someone in another thread said something about "a trade, like plumbers". There is something to be said for that. It is a distinct branch of invaluable service, licensed, but without self-governance and its own science, drawing from civil engineering and long traditions (plus ads in the latest trade magazine).
I'm glad t hear someone say "I don' care, I think of it as a profession" as long as that sort of person continues their education and is not adverse to organizing to get better benefits and treatment.

Here's the problem with that.

Just because I say I'm a millionaire or the President of the United States of America does not mean I'm am millionaire or the President of the United States of America. Additionally, if EMS is a profession despite, you know, lacking the specifics that would actually make it a profession, why would he spend time working towards the things that actually make it a profession?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Professional outlook/professionalism. I'd like someone who is technically adept and educated, but give me a click less of that with loads of professionalism versus an apathetic licensed professional.

I see your point, it is a good one for the future of PEMS.