Interviewing

blondi_babe21

Forum Ride Along
I am a college student in graphic design, wasnt for me. So i went and took a career test. It showed that an EMT was my number 1 for something i would love to do. So im researching it. I have a couple questions that would help me decide if its something i really want to do. Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but if i can help get some answers/opinions i would really appreciate it. Such questions i was curious about are
1)What is the difference between an EMT/EMS/Paramedic?
2)What are things you like about your job (advantages)?
3)what are things you dont like? (disadvantages)?
4)What are personal qualities, aptitudes, or strengths are needed for success in this career?
5)What is a typical day like?
6)And if there is anything else i didnt ask that would be helpful to know

Thanks guys!:rolleyes:

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Here's my 2 cents for you:

1) EMS is the profession, a paramedic is an EMT, but when most people say EMT they are thinking of the basic level, a paramedic has much more class and clinical training (my paramedic was about 700 class hours and 1100 clinical hours in 1 year)

2) There is no typical day, there are routine calls but every day is different... for me at least.

3) People still die in your care even though you may do everything right. It is a hard fact to accept. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

4) Ability to work long hours, problem solve, troubleshoot, there is a physical component to it (lifting/moving patients). As for the school part, being competent in science is a big plus.

5) See question 2

6) This is a very rough job at times. It is patient care. You will be taking care of people. Also, some of those people will still die in your care, even if you did everything right. I'm sure others can put it in better words than me.

Hope I didn't scare you away from it. There's just some parts that you need to be clear on. We aren't just ambulance drivers anymore. B)

Glad you are taking an interest in EMS. I'm sure others will post here too. And take a look around on other threads to delve a little deeper into our world. Be sure to read the threads about bad calls as well as good calls.

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
I just finished getting my EMT-B, so I won't have the seasoned advice of some of the members on EMT Life, but I figured I could give you a student perspective :)

Training, the ability to perform more invasive procedures, and the amount of drugs they can give. While EMT-Bs get 120-150 hours of training, paramedics get 1,200 to 1,800 hours (often more). Paramedics can start IVs, preform intubation, give shots, etc. EMT-Bs can only administer 6 medications while a paramedic can give 30-40. Also, paramedics usually are more experienced in EMS and will serve as a mentor to many EMT-Bs.

EMS is just the acronym for "Emergency Medical Services".

Nothing is ever the same! In my brief experience in the field (5 or so rides!), we've never seen the same thing twice... And we never will. EMS is unlike any job, it will never get boring. It's also made me a much more confident person, and less afraid of any situation that could come up. I've met some wonderful people and made new friends... You know, all that cheesy stuff.

3)What are things you dont like? (disadvantages)?
You get bled on, vomited on, punched, kicked, and yelled at. You have to clean up poop, you get sweaty and gross, and you see things you really don't want to. There are dead kids, dead grandmothers, people in so much pain... But it can make you a much stronger EMT and person. It's all part of the job.

Also, I guess it's just part of being stuck in tight places for long periods of time, but there is a lot of drama. EMTs and paramedics can get really competitive, and sometimes with resort to petty drama to vent frustrations. But I guess that's part of any job :)

4)What are personal qualities, aptitudes, or strengths are needed for success in this career?
The ability to perform well under pressure, endure long hours of boredom, manage panic and anxiety, have really good coping skills (friends/therapists to talk to, good ways of dealing with stress), be alright with repetition of movement (like lifting the gurney 287472 times), some physical strength, great communications skills, a good attitude... Oh, and a strong stomach :)

Like FMA said, there is no typical day. That's what makes it so amazing! You can have one shift where you sit for 12 hours and play Guitar Hero, or a shift where you run 13 or 14 calls, have 2 DOAs, 2 really sick kids, a horrible MVA a lot of drug hunters... It all depends.

Never expect anything... :)

Good luck!

emtjen15

Forum Probie
I have been an EMT for 6 years now, here is what I think:

1. What is the difference between an EMT/EMS/Paramedic?
EMS is a field: Emergency Medical Services. EMT is a title: Emergency Medical Technician, they very from training levels, Basic-Paramedic. A Paramedic is the highest level of an EMT.

2. What are things you like about your job (advantages)?
I like that you never know what you are going to get. You may be dispatched to a cardiac arrest and the patient is talking to you when you arrive, it is totally unpredictable.

3. What are things you don’t like? (Disadvantages)?
The only think that I really don't like is that if you work a night shift and right after you fell asleep the lights come on and you have to be wide awake ready for anything, which can also be considered an advantage!

4. What are personal qualities, aptitudes, or strengths are needed for success in this career?
You need to be able to think on your toes. You never know what you are going to roll up on. I would also recommend a tough stomach; you will see, hear and smell things that you never would imagine. I would also recommend that you be able to distance your self from the situation, you need to be able to keep your self together on a call, if you are freaking out so will your patient and that will just make things worse.

5. What is a typical day like?
A typical day is impossible. You may have 17 calls and have ambulances have to cover your first due or you may just sit around the station and do training all day to pass the time. You can't count on being able to watch a game on the weekends.

6. And if there is anything else I didn’t ask that would be helpful to know
First, have fun! Also, I would recommend that you go on a ride along or two before you decide anything. Last, if you do decide to join this wonderful and unpredictable field, be prepared to learn something new every day, and sit in a lot of classes, :rolleyes:!

MissTrishEMTB08

Forum Crew Member
1)What is the difference between an EMT/EMS/Paramedic? An EMT is just a first responder with more training. Its less in depth and you are responsible for a lot less. You cant do anything invasive and you cant even give meds, but you can assist (at least in my state) with a MDI, the patients own nitro, the patients own epi, and you can give 02. You basically know how to do basic skills like dress and bandage, CPR, splinting, etc. A Paramedic can give meds, pace, analyze rhythms, etc.

2)What are things you like about your job (advantages)? What I liked about clinicals and rides is it is always different. People also calm down when they see the box roll up, they find solace that someone is here to make them feel better, even if its just to splint a broken bone when they drive themselves to the hospital.

3)what are things you dont like? (disadvantages)? You get real down and dirty. I remember being at a car wreck and getting really really wet, and my preceptor wouldnt let me go home and change into something dry, he said When you come to work you either bring an extra set of clothes or stay wet. Ive had a drunk patient grab at my boobs and some old men mess with my breasts with their feet when I went to lift the stretcher (so if youre female remember to ask them, if possible, to bend their legs at the knee so they dont sit there and mess with your boobs with their toes!) and you get to work in vomit and blood and sweat. And trust me you think poo smells bad, wait til its coming out the wrong end! Yuck!

4)What are personal qualities, aptitudes, or strengths are needed for success in this career? Leadership, the ability to stay calm, and something that Im working on right now, the ability to be empathetic while still retaining your distance from the patient.

5)What is a typical day like? There is no typical day.

6)And if there is anything else i didnt ask that would be helpful to know. If you are a female, get used to being one of the guys. In my class or any of the rides I go on, there are no women. There are boys, and boys with an estrogen problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzz

Forum Captain
I am a college student in graphic design, wasnt for me. So i went and took a career test. It showed that an EMT was my number 1 for something i would love to do. So im researching it. I have a couple questions that would help me decide if its something i really want to do. Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but if i can help get some answers/opinions i would really appreciate it. Such questions i was curious about are
3)what are things you dont like? (disadvantages)?

Thanks guys!:rolleyes:

1) Others have answered this already...

2) Getting patient contact is the main reason I like my job. Even on non-emergency calls, I like talking and assessing a patients condition. I like reading through their charts and doctor's assessments to get an idea of what is going on with them medically. Emergency runs: Adrenaline.

3) Disadvantages: You occasionally have to deal with a pompous nurse or doctor in the ER that either expects you to do/have done things outside of your SOP or disregards what you tell them anyways. If you're working in a private service, you have the tendency to be run into the ground. They try to stack patient transfers on you constantly, giving you no down-time in between. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with actually working the better part of the day. I don't think it's right that they try to stack calls on us to the point where we aren't even able to grab lunch or dinner throughout the day. The pay issue is another disadvantage. My friend working at Rent-A-Center moving inanimate objects into people's homes makes more per hour than I do <_<. Another thing: It's stressful on the back and joints. There's proper lifting techniques, but you aren't always able to use them in certain situations or spaces. Even lifting properly, it's stressful on your muscles, especially when the patient is 300+lbs.

4) Maturity and determination.

5) Everyone says there is no typical day, but I disagree... then again, I work for a private service. I'll run through my day for you.

Show up to work 15 minutes before shift.
Go punch in and find out what truck I'm assigned to on that particular day
Go grab the keys, radio, pager, and check list.
Head out to the truck and quickly inventory the truck.
Grab the radio and clear ourselves from the station and await instruction.
At this point, they either send us to sit in a parking lot or send us on a run.

More often than not, on my shift, they have a transport waiting for us right off the bat so we head over to the appropriate facility. Whoever is going to be riding in the back on that particular call goes and finds the nurse assigned to that patient and gets the paperwork associated with them. From this, we usually get a copy of the patient's face sheet (billing information, demographic, emergency contacts, and sometimes a limited history and allergies list) and a medical necessity for transport form. My partner would usually go and grab vitals while I'm looking over the patient's chart and copying down history, medications, and allergies. I head down to the patients room at that point and we transfer the patient from bed into our stretcher and load them into the ambulance. During the ride over, I monitor the patient and talk to them if they are alert and oriented enough to converse with. During this time, I'll also begin writing about that scenario on the run-sheet: what we showed up to find, what is going on with the patient, what happens during transport, what we do with the patient when we get to the destination, etc. When we arrive, we find out what room the patient is to be placed into and move them there. Then I'll go find the nurse and hand over the paperwork the other place sent over with the patient and give a report. I get the appropriate signatures (one from the receiving staff and one from the patient. If the patient is unfit/unable to sign, we get the signature of someone authorized to sign on the patient's behalf on a special form). While I'm getting that, my partner is setting up the cot for the next call.

Typical emergency call: One person is looking up the address on the maps (my service doesn't have GPS :() and the other is driving. We show up, grab the jump bag and head in. Do the whole assessment and treatment thing and head to the ED (yes, I'm being vague for a reason). During transport, we get on the radio and contact the hospital, give them a quick report, an ETA, and check to see if they have any more orders. Show up to the ED, find where the patient should go, deliver a verbal report to the nurse, grab the signatures needed, then go finish the run report (most places around here have an EMS office set up for that purpose). When finished with that, I'll go hand off the appropriate papers and we head out.

The attending technician and the driver usually alternate every other call, unless one of them has lost driving status or aren't cleared to operate at a certain priority or whatever.

The emergency format I posted is vague because it varies every time based on what is going on and the condition of the patient. Sometimes we have time to play around on scene, and other times we have to "load and go."

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
1. What is the difference between an EMT/EMS/Paramedic?
EMT-B can splint, CPR, AED basic life saving no invasive techniques, EMT-I can do IV intubate hook up and read heart monitors, push some drugs and everything that a B can do, EMT-P can do push drugs, do detailed exams, sutures, IV intubate.

2. What are things you like about your job (advantages)?
this job always has change and continuing education, every day is different from the people you treat to the things you learn, i have never sat down at night and said "man, i don't want to go to work tomorrow.

3. What are things you don’t like? (Disadvantages)?
i would like a square meal and a good nights sleep every now and then. i don't like getting puke on me before meal time.

4. What are personal qualities, aptitudes, or strengths are needed for success in this career?
outgoing, caring without being too caring, able to do thing efficiently and calmly under severe stress of people screaming, ability to work on little to no sleep and food. you need to have a heart for the people and the life in order to justify the pay, best thing is you need not take things away from work or bring them in. check everything at the door.

5. What is a typical day like?
24 hour service it varies, you get in at 6 am, get coffee, do your chores around the station, go to the ER to perform as a tech until you get a call, run calls till your hungry, try and eat at least a bite before you have to finish your lunch in shorts, get beck to the station at 6 p.m. do what ever you want until 6 am pending calls (sleep, play on here, eat, shower, talk to your spouse)