Interview

Lucy212

Forum Crew Member
Hi EMS family,

I was on vacation recently for a few weeks. In that time, I applied to an EMS agency for a job. I was told they were not hiring anytime soon, but they would keep me in their database for when something opened up. Then, on vacation - I broke my left tib fib and dislocated my ankle. Had surgery done, now in a cast for 8-10 more weeks... 4 days after my operation the agency called me in for an interview. I was honest with them and told them why I couldn't go. They sounded disappointed, and told me again they would put me back in their database.

My question is: Should I have gone on the interview, show them I wanted to work there, but cannot at the present time and at least have the interview over and done with, or did I do the right thing by telling them via phone to please keep me in mind for upcoming job openings. Did I blow it? :unsure:

Thanks,

~ L

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't think you blew it by any means, they know you are interested. Personally, I think I might have gone to the interview even with an injury so as to speed the hiring process along. You never know what the result of an interview will bring...

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
If you want my honest opinion, yes, you kinda blew it.

Why couldn't you just go to the interview with a cast on your leg?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Yeah I agree get the interview out of the way. You probably wouldn't have started right away anyway. On the other hand if they did need some one right away they might have felt you were wasting their time so who knows. I wouldn't sweat it. They called yah once they'll call you again.

OP
OP
L

Lucy212

Forum Crew Member
Without a cast...

Thanks everyone for your replies...

I'm just gonna have to wait this one out and hope for the best. If and when they call again, I will just be sure to do my best and knock it out of the park.

~ L

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member
It's too late now and got forbid you break the other leg before another interview :p I would have definately gone to the interview seeing as they can just as easily say no but I could have the chance to let them know how excited I was, meet them, and at least leave a good immpression so when the next opening comes around they already have a feeling for who you are. And provided they are somewhat observant they should see that you are not immediately ready for duty with half you leg in a cast :rofl:

Congrats on getting a call even, hope you get another soon.

OP
OP
L

Lucy212

Forum Crew Member
Lesson Learned

Going forward, on another opening - I will jump in whether cast-wearing or not.

I happen to know that this agency does hire part-timers and per-diems enough where I know there will be another opportunity. I will still keep my fingers crossed, and hopefully will be given a chance to show them how much I do want to work there and how good of an asset I can be.

I'm just minorly shocked that my candor possibly hurt me for this situation. :unsure:

~ L